Lanparty UT 250GB wont load XP CD

My info on the ICH5 was based on my experiences with an Abit IS7 (865) chipset I set up around 6 mo ago. I now remember that the XP preinstall needed SATA drivers but no RAID drivers. Sorry for the mixup.

A ICH6 I915 board I set up recently did not need any preinstall drivers, I could not test the ICH6 RAID as (i think) it's disabled in the 915 but enabled in the 925. They both overclocked just fine however.

cyberfossil,

I use Drive Image 2002 but there are some limitations. While the app can see SATA drives from it's own boot OS, it cannot see the RAID array. It can however see the array when working in the Windows "on the fly" mode. This means while you can image to a RAID drive while in Windows, you can't do a recovery from it's boot OS. You can do a recovery using a Windows created ASR disk but you will need the NV RAID floppy.

Powerquest Drive Image was aquired by Symantec and the app is now called Ghost 9.0. Should work as well or better than DI 2002 but no image software will see a non native RAID array in a pre boot environment - it's the driver think ya know.

Personally I think it's a bit foolish to hassle with a RAID 0 boot drive. RAID does not handle small files well unless you choose a small stripe size and then the overhead kills you on large files. Windows loads with a lot of small files and these are also processor/system bound meaning that even a solid state ram drive doesn't make Windows load or run much faster. Save the raid drive for apps or data or better yet, as a "scratch" disk for digital video files - the origional use of RAID 0 before it was popular with the masses.

That's IMHO - M.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

v_lestat, I have seen that fix where the drives formatted works because partition magic rewrites the master boot record better than windows. The drives that give the problem though are usually used drives coming from another system and likely from a raid setup that was not 'dismantled' before removing the drives.

After the lessons I have learned here in the last 2.5 years with raid and new Sata Controllers> I have started 'full/clean erasing' the drives before I stick them in a new system. Takes a little/lot of extra effort to do it but I have not been tripped up by what you had happen either. As long as PM8.0 works to partition most drives windows will never setup the partitions for me anyway. I want my cluster sizes set to match the stripe sizes and Windoors cannot do that at installation time.

Oh well you do obviously need stress relief. Good luck and maybe the planets will align better for you later.

RGone...

RGone -

yes i totally agree with you that a good cleaning of the drives takes care of this but whats messed up is that the bios saw the raid... the nvidia SATA bios saw it too.. partition magic saw the raid but windows loading did not... the only way it worked was when i actually partitioned the drives with partition magic.

im gunna try it one more time tonight wiping out the MBR and see if it takes it this time. (all i have is windows loaded so nothing to loose.)

ive never had an issue with this before thru 3 intel sata boards and 2 amd 64 sata boards, this is the first time. so... if it keeps doing it im gunna be even more upset.... and then im selling everything. blah too much frustration. (i still cant believe my 9800 Xt died just from swapping motherboards on my other system that made me so bloody mad!!)

well looks like the good cleaning did the trick

lets hop[e thats all it was.

the drives are now seen as raid when booting to the xp cd

i used Hiren's boot cd 6 and went thru 4 different hard drive tools and creating and detroying partitions and also rewriting the MBR

and it works

i wish i new what i had done with that hard zero'ing tool. cuz i would have rather used that

and i swear western digital has one but i cant find it...

STOP THE PRESSES

still aint booting xp sees the raid but it wont boot to it man i think im done,,. this is beyond anything ive ever seen

and now the xp cd is back top thinking there is no drive wtf...

ok someone needs to explain something to me

how can you create a raid set

then the raid bios see and verify that set

then reboot go into the DFI bios nad the bios sees the raid set AND the 2 drives as single drives.

thats impossible.

ok someone needs to tell me how in the world DFI has this motherbaord working

i am using SATA 3/4 the one closest to the cpu

SATA 1/2 enable disable ?

SATA 3/4 enable disable ?

RAID setup

SATA 1/2 enabled disabled ?

SATA 3/4 enabled disabled ?

ive tried every combination i can think of and nothing works not even when i use ports 1 and 2 it still does this..

please someone help a man in need lol

Western Digital Tools but I don't believe they can SEE sata drives on NVRAID.

Last customer that we went thru this dorked drive with he had to put on NF2 and erase. Oh no maybe he had Maxtor drives and they could not see drives on NVRAID. Whatever man. Hehehehe. Nuts on my end.

RGone...

NOwhere is any sata drive disabled. Turn on all 4 sata in Genie bios and all 4 satas in the IDE raid manager all 4 at the bottom and then it will not show an array and then also two separate drives. I thought I linked you to that long thing I wrote up?

ok fellas im sorry for multi posting but this is screwed up

ok i got it to see the raid again

BUT

when rebooting the system still see's the drives as individual drive.

BUT here is the kicker,,, IT SEE's THEM ON EXTERNAL SATA 1 and 2 thats IMPOSSIBLE i dont even have them hooked to 1 and 2 i have them on the internal sata 3 and 4

how the devil is this thing seeing those drives on the 1 and 2 plugs when there isnt even anything there ??????

PLUS i even have SATA 1 and 2 disabled AND raid on 1 and 2 disabled,,, what the heck is this baord doing ???????

hehe its too late my helpful friend,, ive blown all the gaskets i can... im running full bore now .

and i saw your post.

im back in windows... here's how

sata 1/2 3/4 enabled

raid 1/2 disabled 3/4 enabled

lets see if she stays this way.

im not real happy performance wise, the silicon image controller on my asus was definately faster than this nvidia controller.

Ok if you are using bios 10/05 or 10/15 then you might have to change a setting differently based on your particular drives. 4.66 NVRAID ROM in 10/05 and 10/15 I think and they had problems with that 4.66 so those two bioses were both pulled as 'even' beta. No longer are even considered as beta by DFI. Nada. Dead. Gone.

I started to ask you what bios you were on way back there but you really do jump around a lot and hard to get too methodical before I see you off to another set of races. Hehehehehehe. Oh well life in the fast puter lane.

RGone...

so is the hacked bios im using well bunk ? meaning the rom in it for sata is totally bogus ?

hhmm i have the latest bios from DFI which is pretty old considering its january and the bios is dated aug or sept.

figured they would have updated it by now.

i personally dont care about what bios i use as long as its a proven winner hacked or not.

personally whats your recommendation and if its different from the one on dfi's website can you throw me a link.

again thanks for all the help chief you been great. and i really appreciate the help.

Naw it works fine if it works ok. Just the things on/off change depending on what drives you throw at the NVRAID. Forkin Nvidia and their shett. Run it if it works. It ain't crash or nothing just the users in another part of the world had exactly the opposite of your porblems. So they pulled the bioses over here too. Dang shetty Nvidia.

Hopefully soon they may have new and better NVRAID ROM in bios. But that ain't no gaurantee as they might still work for some and not for others.

Run it man.

RGone...