half second on then power down

just got a new lanparty ut nf3 250gm motherboard with amd 64 3000+ processor and a gig of muxhkin pc3200 ram. Im trying to install it in my old system, the slow but reliable 866Mhz P3 from like 5 years ago. When i hook it all up and hit power it comes on for a split second then everything powerd down along with the DRAM LED. The same thing happens when i take out the memory, disconnect hard drives and other drives, take out all pci cards leaving only the video card, and even when i take the board out of the case and to test for shorts.

It should also be noted that this is the second time in 2 days that ive had this problem. the first time i thought the board was bad so i exchanged it for a new one. I am stuck, and need help, i have to move back to college in 2 days so i cant take it to a repair shop. Any advice would be awsome.

thanks.

putting my specs in the sig seemed silly since i put them in the post and i figured people would read that first. the power supply is not the original, its a 400W supply from a new case that i dont know the name of. and i unplugged all the drives and the same problem occurs.

anyone have any ideas?

Cheap power supply from cheap case? Two boards and the same thing is not pointing at the motherboard but error on installation or the new pieces bought just for install besides the motherboard. Logic is how it stands.

RGone...

like i said the power supply is rated to 400W and with my old motherboard it powered 2 HD 2 opitcal drives, the mobo, and a floppy without flinching. with the old mobo connected and the ps turned on i tested the 4 pin AMD plug and it was being supplied 12 volts. This is getting really frustrating and unless someone can tell me why its not working im just about ready to return everything and swear off DFI forever.

Originally posted by rubixcubix

like i said the power supply is rated to 400W and with my old motherboard it powered 2 HD 2 opitcal drives, the mobo, and a floppy without flinching. with the old mobo connected and the ps turned on i tested the 4 pin AMD plug and it was being supplied 12 volts. This is getting really frustrating and unless someone can tell me why its not working im just about ready to return everything and swear off DFI forever.

The 400W rating is meaningless. It is the way the power in distributed amoung the rails.

What is the PS's current rating on the 12V rail???

Viper

Guest ZigZag
Originally posted by ViperJohn

The 400W rating is meaningless. It is the way the power in distributed amoung the rails.

What is the PS's current rating on the 12V rail???

Viper

Agreed 100%.

:)

I'm no fan of DFI either, since this motherboard I bought is incompatible with my (perfectly good) RAM...But I have to agree, if you tried 2 different mobos, chances are they're not both broken (unless the store just gave you back the same one).

it does not matter how many amps your powersupply has or how many watts it can do its the quality that matters!! what is happening here (if you got a dmm you could test it and see) is when you power your system on your cpu starts and pulls off the 12v rail. then the rail sinks to about 10 or 9 volts or so and voila it turns off. ive seen this and tested this many times now. its cus you have a low quality psu. get any quality psu it dont matter which one just quality. if your cheap i guess just look for high 12v amps 20+

Originally posted by nut_shot

it does not matter how many amps your powersupply has or how many watts it can do its the quality that matters!! what is happening here (if you got a dmm you could test it and see) is when you power your system on your cpu starts and pulls off the 12v rail. then the rail sinks to about 10 or 9 volts or so and voila it turns off. ive seen this and tested this many times now. its cus you have a low quality psu. get any quality psu it dont matter which one just quality. if your cheap i guess just look for high 12v amps 20+

You need to get a little basic EE knowledge before you start putting your both

feet in your mouth at a time lol.

Viper

Originally posted by ViperJohn

You need to get a little basic EE knowledge before you start putting your both

feet in your mouth at a time lol.

Viper

your probably right but that ive had tow experences where a duro and a generic powersupply did exactly the same thing i describe. they work fine on low draw systems but when powering up a heavy duty systems on my multimeter i could see the voltage drop for a second then it powered down

just my experence tho