hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One post on the entire internet!

I would wait to see some comprehensive tests like we do in this thread!

Is this the newest silicon chip I tried search and did'nt find anything on it. read some post in other forums that say it out performs NV raid

My results with 2x 80GB Hitachi SATA-II (enabled) (+ssc) in RAID-0 via the NVIDIA controller (drivers version 12/07/2004,5.10.2600.0479). Stripe size - 64k, Default NTFS cluster size. Error-free (checked with SpinRite 6 (thanks Roadie :rolleyes: ). DFI SLI-DR 6/23 BIOS, no overclock. DFI Cables (I also have some ASUS ones, but I guess they are the same crap lol :D). Speeds seem slower than what I've seen so far with 2x80GB Hitachis :confused:

Q: They are slow, right? What can be done ;( I am sick of reinstalling Windows (guess I'll have to search for that NGhost solution for RAID-0)

Q: Is a HW RAID card worth the bucks?

8mb HDTach test:

8mb.png

32mb HDTach test

32mb.png

9.99GB Partition ATTO bench:

9.png

141GB Partition ATTO bench:

141gb.png

Your results look well within the margin of error for your setup.

I went through a series of benchmarks with two Hitachi drives on Erzebet last night. I got results almost identical to you.

Processor speed seems to have an effect on the overall throughput. The same drives bench a little faster on Aileen with the 3500 Clawhammer/Hammer overclocked.

My results with 2x 80GB Hitachi SATA-II (enabled) (+ssc) in RAID-0 via the NVIDIA controller (drivers version 12/07/2004,5.10.2600.0479). Stripe size - 64k, Default NTFS cluster size. Error-free (checked with SpinRite 6 (thanks Roadie :rolleyes: ). DFI SLI-DR 6/23 BIOS, no overclock. DFI Cables (I also have some ASUS ones, but I guess they are the same crap lol :D). Speeds seem slower than what I've seen so far with 2x80GB Hitachis :confused:

Q: They are slow, right? What can be done ;( I am sick of reinstalling Windows (guess I'll have to search for that NGhost solution for RAID-0)

Q: Is a HW RAID card worth the bucks?.

I just did a complete computer overhaul. I am still working through troubleshooting issues as we speak so i am on my spare computer. However i have 4 raptor drives on the 3114 Raid controller. (SLI-DR motherboard)

I have read much of this thread but could not come to a conclusion on the stripe and cluster size. since i have 4 drives should i go 64 stripe and 32 cluster? can i do 64 cluster? i am getting acronis disk director now i hope that will let me set the cluster size.

This will be a gaming machine. I got 2 7800GTX video cards and dual core AMD 3800+.

I got 4 gigs of ram on the way. just using the 1 gig for right now.

The stripe width should be four times the cluster size for best overall performance.

You never want the cluster size and stripe width to be the same.

I just did a complete computer overhaul. I am still working through troubleshooting issues as we speak so i am on my spare computer. However i have 4 raptor drives on the 3114 Raid controller. (SLI-DR motherboard)

I have read much of this thread but could not come to a conclusion on the stripe and cluster size. since i have 4 drives should i go 64 stripe and 32 cluster? can i do 64 cluster? i am getting acronis disk director now i hope that will let me set the cluster size.

This will be a gaming machine. I got 2 7800GTX video cards and dual core AMD 3800+.

I got 4 gigs of ram on the way. just using the 1 gig for right now.

Acronis Drive Image is reported to work with nVidia RAID.

Someone recently posted that Norton Ghost works if you set certain switches in the software.

I haven't tried it since I keep my valuable data on other drives and rebuild my OS every few months.

thanks this was very insightful - i didnt even know that Ghost needed special treatment and that nvraid can quite be problematic.

I will PROBABLY go with three Hitachi 7k80 drives and already did some preperations.....eg. i made me a bart's pe (reatogo) WinPE bootdisk with all the drivers, nvraid, Acronis trueimage, Ghost etc. and more tools.

This is great since i will be able to boot into a a semi/mini XP environment right off the CD (!) and can use all those tools to (hopefully) restore my image. Exactly what i need.

I will, however, still read further especially regarding change of cluster sizes w/ progs like acronis disk director, partitionmagic etc..if they work right with nvraid and my setup.

@dred - please read the forum rules and develop a signature with your system specifications before posting again. It's the rules bro.

Get those HDDs off that sil 3114 and use the NV Raid, it's much better and faster.

Guest Liquid

Ive uploaded some results from atto, i dunno how to determine what seems the best what do you guys think? 32/4 results are shockin.. is it worth trying 16/16?

You really don't want the stipe and cluster to be the same size since that kills the whole idea of stripping the data across the drives for speed.

The 32/8 results look like the way you want to go.

Ive uploaded some results from atto, i dunno how to determine what seems the best what do you guys think? 32/4 results are shockin.. is it worth trying 16/16?