CPU HeatSink

Hi guys i just got a new modded power supply,i bought a Ultra 500w one of them green ons with the cables that come off.I know what some of you may be thinking but i did do research on this and the power supply came up with good results and even passed some of the better ones on some test.Anyway iam using a SP-97 for a heatsimk now, and you know the problems they have with that big Cap being pushed up against heat pipe and the power plug.Well the plug that go to the MB is realy big and i almost lifted that cap up off the board.wow,close,if it was any looser i think it fall off.It was off to the side a little from my other power supply but this one i dont like the way it is so i decided to change heatsinks.Does anyone have one of these that can give me a idear how they fit or the performance of them?The new SI-97 does that need the backplate like the sp97?I ran a swiftec befour with the screws that go threw the MB and that gave me good cooling.The new one is a clip on.Any info will help?Thanks Guys.

If you can't manage bend the cables, then I would change the PSU for other one ;)

I know, some cables could be KINDA hard to bend - my Enermax 485W (EG 485P-VHS) got a very hard to bend mobo cables :(

PS. picking up heatsink - I would recommed anything with screws going trought the mobo ;) The big ones I would even consider securing to the back metal plate behing the mobo, since I saw how these giant heatsinks could bend whole mainboard :(

Its not the cable or a real big issue.The 20 pin plug itself is realy wide and i just dont like the cal being leaned like that.I was just looking for a alternative for a heatsink i can use,because its the heatpipe realy,iam sure you guys using a SP-97 know what iam up against.Thanks for the suggestions but what iam looking for is feedback on a new heastsink not to send it back.Iam useing one that attaches to a backplate now trodas.Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tinker77

@Angry_Games:

Hi, I was looking at your picture of the SP-97 and it seem like some parts of the HS actually brush agaist some of the capacitors...Is this a big problem? I ask, because I have the same problem with my Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu LED HS and I've been a little worried about it. thanks!

-Hal :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Guest tinker77

Prostock62, yes, I was told it is okay as long that it only leans against the platic cover of the capacitor but if it touches the uncovered top of the capacitor then you're in trouble, is this correct? Anyways, now I dont feel so bad about sticking with my Zalman CNPS7000B...although, this one does lean against to of the capacitors near the socket. I'll try to upload some pics as soon as I can and maybe you gys can take a quick look at them and tell me what you think?....Goodnight for now! =)

Originally posted by tinker77

Prostock62, yes, I was told it is okay as long that it only leans against the platic cover of the capacitor but if it touches the uncovered top of the capacitor then you're in trouble, is this correct? Anyways, now I dont feel so bad about sticking with my Zalman CNPS7000B...although, this one does lean against to of the capacitors near the socket. I'll try to upload some pics as soon as I can and maybe you gys can take a quick look at them and tell me what you think?....Goodnight for now! =)

correct...notice only the rounded part of one of the heatpipes touches the cap...nothing else, and only on the side (never the top!)

some feel safe putting a lil mobo washer in between when they do this sort of thing (those little red O's that come with your bag of screws and case standoffs!)