Hello all

well i finally get pc to the point of booting it up, restore defaults to bios, disable on board sound card, create array, put in raid floppy when promted, a: drive spins up, all looks good, then it prompts for the driver disc like i never put it in there. Needless to say, once again windows can not see hard drives. Im really sick of this............... isnt this were i came in?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You had fan on top of heatsink connected to cpu fan connection, and im wondering why it wasnt connected to chip fan connector which is right next to cpu. And if it is connected to a mobo sensing connection, why the inline pot? wont the mobo control fan speed?

the cpu fan always gets connected to the cpu fan header, never the chipset/chassis fan connector. The mobo doesnt control fan speed as far as I know (thats why the orange TT fan has a controller on it)

well i finally get pc to the point of booting it up, restore defaults to bios, disable on board sound card, create array, put in raid floppy when promted, a: drive spins up, all looks good, then it prompts for the driver disc like i never put it in there. Needless to say, once again windows can not see hard drives. Im really sick of this............... isnt this were i came in?

sounds again like you are using the wrong driver disk.

if you have it hooked up exactly how I had it hooked up, then this is what you need to do:

1. go into the HP372N raid controller bios and delete any arrays, then create a new stripe (i suggest 64k)

2. reboot and put your XP disk in, and have your HP372N floppy disk ready. during XP install press F6

3. when it asks for the floppy, insert the HP372N floppy and let it load the XP drivers.

4. everything else should work properly from here. This is the exact method I used when installing it here at my place.

make sure you are NOT using the ICH5R floppy. Only the HP372N floppy.

make sure in the BIOS you are set to boot from High Point RAID controller. Boot Other Device is disabled etc.

Make sure in Genie BIOS you have the High Point raid controller enabled. Make sure you have all SATA controllers disabled.

Everything is as it should be, in bios, and in connections. I was very methodical about moving everything to new case, and marked the cables to make sure i got it right.

I think my patience with raid has failed, and it is time to move on.

This really doesnt even have a hint of fun to it anymore. Its just raw unadultrated torture. Lets put down the whip, and give the pony a rest.

Please give me the needed steps to make this happen in a standard master slave situation.

1. go into the HP372N raid controller bios and delete any arrays, then create a new stripe (i suggest 64k)

2. reboot and put your XP disk in, and have your HP372N floppy disk ready. during XP install press F6

3. when it asks for the floppy, insert the HP372N floppy and let it load the XP drivers.

4. everything else should work properly from here. This is the exact method I used when installing it here at my place.

make sure you are NOT using the ICH5R floppy. Only the HP372N floppy.

make sure in the BIOS you are set to boot from High Point RAID controller. Boot Other Device is disabled etc.

Make sure in Genie BIOS you have the High Point raid controller enabled. Make sure you have all SATA controllers disabled

wonderful, a repost....am i supposed to wait another 24 hrs for you to post it again? This is bull crap, you had the thing working, why did you wipe out discs is my ? i offered to send you my windows .iso so you knew no piracy was going on. I didnt send it across the country just to get it back and experiance the exact same problem. Obviously Angry there is somthing your overlooking, because it just doesnt work the way you say. Its amazing how i can go thru these forums, and see folks that have had, or r having the exact same problem. Dude, #uck raid, i have enough of it, i thought i made that quite clear in my last post, and what do you do. You post the exact same post you posted before. Im not a #ucking idiot, i have tried that crap, or i wouldnt still be here askinhg for another way.

No more raid!!!

I want a normal computer, with a normal disc set up. How do i do it?

Am i concerned if this letter gets you pissed.......not in the least, as you obviously dont have a problem . me off.

why did you wipe out discs is my ?

i am unable to leave my copy of windowsXP on your machine. I use a special OEM Corp edition that is given to mfg's and doesn't have all of the normal features like the need to register it etc, and it doesn't ask me to re-reg it when i change a bunch of hardware etc.

you need to realize that leaving an OS on a customers machine can result in a fine of $250,000 and Microsoft does NOT play around when it comes to software piracy (whether it was really piracy or not, they dont care. And I have a trusted position within DFI and I abide by all the rules that I am supposed to abide by).

i offered to send you my windows .iso so you knew no piracy was going on.

sending an iso image of Windows operating system is definitely considered piracy. The only legal way to do it would have been for you to ship me the official, original disk and key (the holographic sticker one). Otherwise, as I just explained, my version of WinXP is different than yours and I am not legally allowed to leave any remnants of my version on your machine. Period.

I didnt send it across the country just to get it back and experiance the exact same problem. Obviously Angry there is somthing your overlooking, because it just doesnt work the way you say.

actually I think it is the other way around. Within 2 minutes of receiving your machine I had it flying with RAID-0 stripe, and showed you all kinds of screens from it. I ship it back to you and you are having the same exact problem so I think it is something you are overlooking.

Its amazing how i can go thru these forums, and see folks that have had, or r having the exact same problem.

i dont see anyone having this exact same problem. please link me to all the users that are having this exact problem please.

I want a normal computer, with a normal disc set up. How do i do it?

exactly as my steps suggest, except do not create an array in the RAID bios (but if you did create an array then you must delete it so your HP372N controller will be able to JBOD)

Am i concerned if this letter gets you pissed.......not in the least, as you obviously dont have a problem . me off.

im not pissed off. if you get pissed because of my answers then i apologize but its not my intention to do it. I simply answer the question with the exact method I used to set up your RAID the instant it arrived. I cannot help that you are having a problem doing it correctly yourself, but i am trying to help you get it setup correctly.

being a jerk to me isn't going to get you a lot of help so you should keep that in mind.

::takes a breath::

Since your one line response of how to set it up as master slave shows you have no intention of telling me the steps needed, i will play it out your way......lets stick with the raid.

First of all, you know you cant deleate the raid array, only create a new one that replaces the first one. Bios just wont let you do it. Hitting "deleate array" only gets you a "cant deleate bootable array" error message. If there is a way, this is obviously inside information that you havent shared yet. Aside from that, i have followed your advice to the letter, and just like before raid utility is the only place hard drives are detected. They dont show up in post, they dont show up in windows install. After the prompt to hit ctrl-h, (if i dont do it)i do see them detected as the name i gave array "1sttry"

that screen is as follows:

HighPoint Technologies, Inc. HPT370/372 Bios Setting Utilility v2.345

©1999-2003. HighPoint Technologies, Inc. All right reserved

Press to run Bios Setting Utility

Scan Devices. Please wait ...

Primary Master: 1sttry

Primary Slave: No Drive

Secondary Master: 1sttry

Secondary Master: No Drive

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

putting disc in or not putting disc in when prompted makes no differance, still get "set up did not find any hard drives installed in your computer" message from windows installer

Now wouldnt this suggest that i am in fact using the correct disc, and raid is seeing the drives, but not windows?

What else do i have to do make you believe me?

I have no choice but to keep asking you ?'s as what else would you have me do? Waste more money on another motherboard in hopes that this one is not so complicated in making it see hard drives? As far as showing you the other posts were others had this problem, not gonna waste my time arguing man, not condusive to the problem.

Im so glad it all worked good for u, but obviously it is not working so good for me.

OK, i think ive found the problem. A: is kaphoohy

Was looking at my sig in here making sure it was up to date, relized we had revverted bios back to a ealier version, and decided i may as well up date that with the disk i made. pop it into a, start up computer, A: light comes on, boot up process starts like normal. It did not boot from flash disc.

So i yank out a:drive and hook it up outside case, bootup computer to ctrl+h promt, pop highpoint disc in it, hit enter, light comes on, but drive makes no noise, and does not spin.

Yank a drive out of this pos im on now, hook it up, 60 secends later im looking at "xp licensing agreement"

what i would love to know is why the damn thing was detected, and why the green light came on, but gave no error message that motor was fried or whatever.........

off to install

1 windows

2 sp2

3 critical updates

4 check for more criticals

5 chipset drivers 3.13 nvidia nf2

6 dx9

7 vid card drivers

8 non critical os updates

10 anti-virus

wish me luck

p.s. although i have never done such a thing, i will be tearing apart old a:drive to see what #ucked up, during install wait times.

p.s.s wonder whats gonna happen next time i shut this puter down with no a: drive...lol

Angry, both our tempers flared over information that was good from both camps, but a hardware failure cares nothing about information exchange between humans. Please accept my humble appologie for doubting your sincerity.

straight from another forum i frequent

Am i stupid, yea im really stupid. Maybe stupid isnt a strong enough word. Im finally formatting my drives for windows install in the windows installer. Im not really sure how long it has taken me to get to this point with new case, but lets just say i have watched an entire season of "survivor" the dvd collection since i started this. I have also pissed off a rep from dfi mother boards over my own stupidity. The first step to booting from the xp disk with raid enabled is to hit f6 at the promt to install third party disc controllers. Sounds easy enough...................................if your A: drive can spin, and the idiot who built computer didnt forget to take out a drive bay spacer that is wedged up against the bottom of the drive, preventing it from spinning.

Wetchaser™

Team Black Dog Racing

trackersig.php?userid=93327"

dont sweat it Rick, i never got pissed at ya. I scratched my head quite a bit as to why it worked perfectly for me and not you, but I dont think I ever got supa angry (like RG and others know I get sometimes ;) )

I am very glad you got it going correctly. I too have made the same mistake of having a hdd or some other object wedged up against those types of floppy drives that require the spinny thing on the bottom.

mistakes are only bad if you never learn from them. Important thing is that you got the rig going and now we can move past being upset at a seemingly dead machine and get you some of those great high scores that I was showing you I was getting while your rig was parked on my bench ;)

ps: like i said, you'll for sure 110% absolutely know when I am pissed off (ask a couple that have crossed my wrath here if you can find them). I'm not into holding grudges so you can always catch me on MSN or email or here at forums with a question and not worry I'll be rude to ya.

I've been sick with stomach flu since xmas dinner (momma put a little too much poison in my meal) so have been sorta only around @ 20% capacity i guess.

Everything seems to be gelling nicely now. Had a bit of a problem with audigy drivers, but after doing a in depth driver removal, system is just screaming like a banshie.

Important note about Sound blaster drivers to all. Unlike any other manufacturer of hardware, Sound blaster has deemed it proper to update drivers in increments. When you install there card (an audigy 2zs in my case) you can not just use drivers on web, but must have the original cd that came with hardware. Installing from the latest web drivers leaves out alot of differant programs. It is every bit as invloved as updating windows with service packs, criticals and optionals. It took 3 trips to sb auto updater page before my card was fully updated. Those trips only came after a harsh regiment of deletes following Sound Blaster's driver removal guide. removal guide Your first clue that drivers are not installed correctly is in add/remove programs. You may see accesories like creative sound bank, creative media source and such, but you wont see your card listed as a seperate program.

My perfect install was only hampered by my thinking that the best drivers to install first would come from the web, not the cd. As far as i know, this holds true with most other hardware except creative/sound blaster.

so to do it right it goes like this:

1.Install everything on creative cd first

2.Go to http://creative.com/ select country, and find autoupdater in support.

3. Kill pop up blocker, and follow prompts. Dont select anything that isnt already selected, or they will get installed first before the drivers, and that will leed to problems.

4. Updater will install as much as it can, and ask you reboot

5. reboot, go back to http://creative.com/ and do it again and again untill you can go there, and updater tells you "we got nothing fo yuzz"

Angry i can hardly wait to kick this thing up a few knotches because right now im getting better fps then i have ever experianced already. Gee it only took me a month to get it right,:D