Hello all

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

::grabs hanky, wipes dust from from case, as pulling out off packing.:: Yea its here!!! Angry unless you specify somthing differant, i am going to newegg and buying the parts you left in case, and shipping them directly to you. Way to much goodness there boss.

Incidently, fan came loose from heatsink, and pounded around in case it appears, minor damage to heatsink.

Tommorow after x-mas morning hooha, i will begin working on new case. Up till now, all i have been doing is setting it on kitchen table, and getting used to what all the wires are in case. Manual gives a slightly differant version of how to hook up fans, from that given on the website. Mobo manual is ok, but i feel it is lacking some info im gonna need for hooking up certain wires. More about that when i get to that bridge.

I have to decide if i want bios to see cpu temp, or let case fan controller unit monitor it, and adjust fans to compensate automatically. Aside from this, im feeling pretty confident about entire process. I have already decided that most wires are going to be run twice, as im going to do my best to keep em out of the way of air. Which brings me to my next ? For the reasons of tight looking interior, does anyone ever shorten wires using some sort of inline male/female connectors, as opposed to trying to reuse the connectors at the end of each line. And is current resistance from using inline splice connections a concern?

Angry, feel free to move this thread to anywere you think it more appropriate, as i expect topics are going to be about alot more then just the mobo.

aight Rick, couple of things.

#1 you aint buyin nothin for me. consider that Thermalright SP-94 and fan a xmas gift. period.

#2 not sure if your Xaser has fan controller built into it but please make sure you do NOT go plugging in all of those fans to the motherboard. I never plug any fans into mobo, only the yellow RPM sensor wires (www.svc.com if you need some, they are less than $1 each depending on what you need).

#3 sorry for not making everything neat inside but I figured you were going to pull it all anyway so no sense it cable-tying everything to make it pretty heh.

ps: dont smoke near it!

the SP-94 was already slightly wanged from me dropping it right as i was gonna install it the first time so i just took pliers and pulled the tines apart again. Sounds ghetto but its a great heatsink and there was no damage to it that couldn't be fixed. Its truly the best P4 air cooler in the land. as you can tell, it is used (and it arrived to me in that condition...if i had given you any other heatsink i have, you would have sworn it was brand spanking new).

if you have questions about anything just ask (and take pics if its something hard to describe).

make sure also when you put that new 800FSB cpu in it the first thing you do is Load Optimized Defaults.

AND DO NOT LOAD ANY OLD CMOS RELOADED SETTINGS! you will instantly corrupt the bios so first thing you should do is overwrite all of them with Load Optimized Default settings, then later when you get an overclock or something you can store it.

im not gonna move this cuz its LanParty 875B revB stuff, and others might want to read it...and if they dont they dont have to ;)

Its basically built. The fan hookups are my last hurdle for the build. So the advice about mobo to fan connections is timely.

1.Yes case has a fan controller, along with 3 sensors. In manual it says to place a sensor on cpu heatsink, and never under cpu. On website it says to place sensor under cpu :confused: i think ill just keep it the way you have it wired Angry. That heatsink was major pain in the arse to get put back in place, and i have no wish to muck with it again.

2.I guess ie1394 is not an option on this board. I have a sony digital handy cam, and this was my way of upload, but i guess i can find a usb patch cable.

3. I was planning on hooking up the 4 diagnositc led's for awile in case i have somthing wrong, but the fixture for mounting them is not compatible with this case, as all drives utilize a quick mount system that just cant be applied in this instance. After im sure everthing is ok, ill just remove led's. Maybe ill make a custom bracket so they can be seen thru side cover later.

4. Since i have regular ide drives, i assume im going to use the highpoint 372 n raid driver (v 2.345) during window install?

5. Keeping wires out of way of airflow is proving to be damn near impossible. After i get all the fans hooked up, im not sure if the mobo will be visable anymore, lol.

Not gonna have alot of time to work on it today, as family x-mas gathering is planned.

ps. i thought i posted all this yesterday, but apparently not.

well im gonna go to family thing, then im gonna go hunt down a few old friends, and see if i can get some hands on help with these stupid fans. Thermaltakes instructions are so screwed up its just not funny anymore. They got me hooking up signal wires to connectors that are already in the psu loop. Im no electrician, but i think im smart enough to see a short coming. There really isnt any advice that can be dispensed on this issue, as it would take an entire page of text mixed with countless pic's to make it happen that way.

If all else fails, all the fans are coming out, and im going with water cooling. This is insane, build a complete unit, only to spend over 2 days total trying to figure out how to hook up stupid fans.

lol thats why i told ya to look at another case ;)

you definitely want the HP372N drivers during install (make sure you go into RAID bios and delete the stripe/mirror then create a new one first!)

if you go watercooling, let me know...this Danger Den stuff is incredible!

Could somone explain to me what the 4 connections on the mobo for fans actually do. I relize that if i utilize these, i will only use the signal from each one, and get the power straight from psu.

Tommorow i am going to paint led unit, and then mount it in top position of rack, were fan controller unit is now.

all connections are sensing connections only. Im not refering to power connections.

Page 14, section 1.4.11 of the mobo manual shows the 4 fan connections im inquiring about. Ive already determined that that chassis fan connector is not going to be used, as that just looks like a power connection.

You had fan on top of heatsink connected to cpu fan connection, and im wondering why it wasnt connected to chip fan connector which is right next to cpu. And if it is connected to a mobo sensing connection, why the inline pot? wont the mobo control fan speed?

The chassis fan connector at lower left of board looks promising, and was considering hooking a intake and exaust fan to that, but i wonder what that connection is really sensing.

And basically clear up the differance between cpu, and chip fan.