Dfi%20temp%20oc.jpg

Probe 28.1

Bios JSJA15452

Being cooled with a Thermalright SLK-948U

and a Vantec tornado 92mm.

I'm using 9/14 BIOS downloaded from the global site of dfi.com

CPU HS is cool to touch

South/Northbridge HS REALLY hot

The tempreadings from Smartguardian and BIOS is aprox. the same 1-2 degrees difference.

I have set the Turn on full fanspeed to CPU to 50 degrees and when i am in the BIOS and up until i log in to Windows the fan is running really slow. But after i have logged in to Windows the CPU fan turns on to full blow and stays that way even when computer is idle and since it is on full blow the temps stays around 34 degrees.

It's very strange since the Smartguardian displays temps no way near 50 degrees..

The problem seems to be more CPU specific than board speciific. Here is what I have noticed since I've used 2 processors on this same Lanparty UT.

The first of which was a Clawhammer 3400+ SH7-CG. At idle, I could get as low as say 33-35C, right around the system temperature. Heatsink was not warm. Full load temps were about 43-44C with my XP-120. Overclocked to 2.4 at 1.67vcore, idle was about 38, full load was about 47-48C.

Swapped in a Mobile Clawhammer 3200+ SH7-CG with a SLK-948U. At 2ghz, .9 vcore (yes .9 vcore) I was getting 39C idle. That's way too high, heatsink was cool to the touch on the SLk-948U. At 2.4ghz, idle would be reported as about 51C, full load temps close to 60C. Heatsink was slightly warm to warm.

Today I swapped back to the XP-120 on the Mobile Clawhammer by modifying the retention bracket to gain back the 1/16" of space lost by using a Mobile CPU with no IHS. Idle temps are now reported at about 48C, full load running prime is about 56C when at 2.4ghz.

With this CPU, I fully believe temps are being reported about 11C-14C too high. Perhaps it's the onboard themal diode that has varying levels of calibration?

If this were true, then it would be next to impossible to make the temps accurate for every CPU out there.

Would it be possible to put in a bios setting that would allow the user to +/- the temperature that the thermal diode reports? Let's say the board thinks the CPU is at 51C idle, but in reality it's at 41C. If you could put in -10 skew value to alter what the board thinks the temp is, then it would read right.