Anti Virus Software

Katch

Ok so I'm getting frustrated with certain AV software being almost as bad as the code it protects us against. Recent adventures with the Mcafee AV Scan from the LanParty disk have left a decidedly bitter taste in my mouth.

Does anyone know of any decent reliable non-subscriber AV software for XP, preferably an open source project or at least a group of coders with some integrity.

I am fed up of being given a license for AV software (PcCillin, Mcafee etc) only to have the company either imediately start demanding I subscribe to them (or trying to hard sell push a different product onto my system Mcafee you bastards; install free AV from DFI LP CD, try to update only to be forced to accept a different piece of software.)

All I want is a reliable honest provider of AV software. Mcafee I will never touch again. PcCillin aren't all that bad but their software is questionable. I like the look of Kaspersky but not their subscription contracts....

I'm lost. I give up. Screw it let my PC become a mindless spam firing, keylogging, DDoS raging, warez relaying, compromised zombie pos.

:confused:

i been using Nortons for years and will always use it...it has always been consistent in finding viruses that McCrappy's won't and its (to me) a superior scanning and detection engine, with VERY frequent updates.

Currently using Norton's Corporate 8.1 deployed over my network at home (lab). Regular Norton's is an annual subscription and well worth the price.

if it means anything, I hate, and have ALWAYS hated McCrappy's antivirus. Trend's PC Cillin is ok, but not up to par with Norton...Panda AV is a joke...there's another one that is supposed to be real good but can't remember the name of it...