Prime95, stability and IE/MSN Messenger

Mevunky

Hey all,

Current im running 236x11 @ 1.85v, chipset 1.9, vdimm3.3 and specs in sig.

I can prime for 9 hours or more no problem. but if i prime even for 10 minutes and use programs such as msn and IE they crash often. but not while not priming. and at 1.8ghz low volts i dont have this problem (dont seem too but could have to invesitgate more) so i belive its the oc making instabilities but prime will come back after 9 hours 100% fine. but often msn has died or ie will crasha nd msn when you load them while priming etc.

Any light on this?

i have default SB and NB cooling, should i change the compound on the NB to as5 and get a bigger sb cooler? i have also sinked the ram and cpu mosfets. but any otther ideas and or more cooling?

load temp 53c

Originally posted by Mevunky

I can prime for 9 hours or more no problem. but if i prime even for 10 minutes and use programs such as msn and IE they crash often. but not while not priming.

Not sure what this means?:confused: you prime and run ie and they crash or they dont??

I dont think most people have trouble running prime and surfing

I know I did'nt...Hell I've heard of people usin winamp and . like that while priming...

Ok,

when i use blend, and run other programs at the same time the other pragrams such as ie, messenger, winamp crash. but not prime and prime always shows 100% correct with no errors.

it only seems to happen in blend mode

Ok now u mentioned that I stand behind my explanation 100%

Blend mode has a function which loads your ramm 100% this means that any apps open and consuming ram will have it grabbed form them in an aggressive manner, this causes the crashes.

You can do the same thing by setting custom and set min fft to the amount of system ram u got i.e 1024 gig, 512 etc, etc

You can see this happening if you open task manager and click on performance task to watch the 'live commentry'

prime95 v apps

the fight for system ram...ehhehehehe

mong

This is what i expected and knew...so my system is stable but when i prime its not...on blend.

if so, if i can pass 24 hours on in place large fft's defualt setting (the one above blend)

am i really stable?

as i would have thought i should be stable on blend too...as if i blend sometimes i come back and windows has shot itself. but not prime and its still passing nicely.

Guest Hellfire

You can try setting you P2P-EXT to 1ms, this seems to stop IE from dropping to desktop all of a sudden when priming.

P2P.jpg

Set it to 00 instead of 02

Well i have new information come to light so ill tell you all that before ill try that. ps ie crashes with a protection fault or similar it doesnt just vanish.

Ok so i did some testing, i found that EVERYTIME i went to 50c when running prime on any tests IE and other programs would crash. Yet at 49c everything was fine.

So it seems at 2600mhz i need to stay under 50c.

Ok so i thought less vcore on the cpu, so i dropped it.

but as you drop the vcore the degrees you have to stay under drops and system becomes more unstable in general. so 1.85v is the most stable so higher vcore lets you use 51 and 52c respectively. ok so i try to lower the mhz, if you lower the mhz it lets you use 50c instead of 49 but not 51c. so it seems @ 1.85v, which is the highest i am willing to go unless someone can convince me more is safe still but i already get 53c at load. so i think the answer is keep under 50c and everything stays 100%stable.

Yer, but i find i lower the vcore and things are less stable, im going to repalce the Volcano12 with a Thermalright this week and my v12 fan ontop. will i get much better temps? and will i be able to lower the vcore or will i always need that much to get that high as i understand it.