Can't Install XP SP1. Please Help.

Guest Patrick_merged

Guest Patrick

Hi, my name is Patrick and I built a PC for my brother's girlfriend's family about 1 month ago. Before I get started. I just want to say, that having a DFI hosted forum with actual DFI employees is a great thing.

Before, they had some POS comcrap. So, this pc was a huge upgrade. This way, I can pwn my bro in enemy territory while he is at her house. This is what I built for them. Windows XP installed without a hitch. I installed all the service packs and critcal updates without a hitch. then I installed some essetial apps and sent the pc on its way.

CASE ANTEC|MINI TOWER SX630II 1 $66.00 $66.00

MB DFI LANPARTY NFII ULTRA B RTL 1 $151.00 $151.00

VGA XFX|GF FX 5200U 128MB DDR 8X RT 1 $87.00 $87.00

CPU AMD|2500/333 ATHLON XP BARTON R 1 $80.00 $80.00

DDRAM 512M|64X64 PC-2700C2 CORSAIR% 1 $136.00 $136.00

FD 1.44MB SONY MPF920 Beige % 1 $10.50 $10.50

HD 80GB|WD 7200RPM 8MB WD800JB% 1 $70.00 $70.00

KB MS|INTERNET PS/2* 1 $17.00 $17.00

MOUSE MS|INTELLI EXPLR 4.0 w/Tilt% 1 $23.00 $23.00

LITEON|52X32X52X LTR-52327S % 1 $35.00 $35.00

LITE ON 16X XJ-HD166S % 1 $33.00 $33.00

Sorry, I copied and pasted my newegg order because it has been a long day tech supporting other people.

Last week, they told me they were having problems with the pc. They are a bunch of noobs. So I figured they and a spyware/virus infestation. Wrong.

PC is not loading the OS. Ok, so I tried to reinstall XP on the pc. I would format the WD800JB in NTFS(Single HD no slave with the jumper removed). Then XP copied the system files to the HD and then rebooted.

After the PC reboots, it POSTs normally. But then I fails to boot off of the HD. It reads:

"Error loading operating system_"

Then it just sits there. Ok, I maybe the HD went bad already. So I pull my WD400BB from WORKING webserver(www.plan6.com). I figure that I can loan them that HD until I get a chance to RMA the WD800JB with Western Digital. Then the exacat same thing happens with the WD400BB.

After the PC reboots, it POSTs normally. But then I fails to boot off of the HD. It reads:

"Error loading operating system_"

Ok, now I am stumped. Everything worked fine for a month. Now XP will not install. I have used the WD DataLifeguard utilities to no avail.

What could it be?

Bad IDE channel. If so I would gladly buy a PCI ATA card or SATA HD to fix the problem.

Questionable quality on the supplied rounded cables?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. By the way, I did read previous posts as far back as 12 pages ago. I did see that "thenewguy" had the same trouble. But I didn't see a resolution. I also read stick number 2.

Thank you in advance.

Guest Patrick

By the way, that link to my website will not work since I ganked teh HD from my webserver to try and fix their PC.

Ensure the HD mode is LBA or Auto (I hear more ppl say LBA though)

If you think the IDE may be questionable, you may want to concider picking up a PATA to SATA converter and try sticking the mobo on the SATA channel... but then again, if you have run the WD tools on the drive while connected to the PATA controller... then it probably is not at fault...

Have you tried testing the RAM?

Guest Patrick

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I did set the HD to AUTO, but I will try setting it to LBA mode. If that doesn't work, than I do have 2 other corsair XMS pc 2700 sticks I can try.

I will post back the results.

i had a problem once where the PC would not fully load windows XP... a little different than you (as I got farther), but definately an "out of the blue" WinXP boot up problem that worked with no issues before...

my solution that time was simply resetting my RAM.

Nice rig, I think you should include the PCB revision of your mobo though. Maybe the serial number off your CPU too. How many brass stand offs do you have supporting your mobo? How many RPMs does your CPU fan run at? How loud is your system (Db)? When does the warranty expire on your Fijitsu drives?

Anyway, Patrick...

I would try booting to a DOS (not denial of service) boot disk and run FDISK /MBR to rewrite the master boot record...

And do a google for memtest386 to test the ram.

-bob "happy trees" ross

Windows XP Pro SP2 - APIC & ACPI Enabled

Antec SX1240 SOHO Full Tower Case With 400W PSU (Antec PP412X)

1 X 92mm & 5 X 80mm case fans

AMD Barton 2500+ @ 1833Mhz (333FSB), Cooled by Actic Silver II CPU Compound under AMD Retail Fan

DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra B - 06/19 BIOS

2 X Infineon 512MB PC2700 DDR @ 333Mhz [HYB25D2568000BT-6 chips on double-sided sticks]

Sapphire Radeon 9500 Atlantis Pro, 128Mb DDR (running 4.7 catalysts)

On-Board SoundStorm Audio (using 4.4.2 drivers) experienced through Benwin BWS80 Speakers

On-Board Realtek RTL8110S Giga-LAN connected to LAN/ADSL though a D-Link DI-704P Router

1 X Fujitsu MPG3409AHE 40GB IDE (ATA-100 @ 7,200rpm) [last of 4 old Fujitsu's waiting to die]

1 X Western Digital 120GB IDE with 8MB buffer (WDC WD1200JB-00CRA1) on Abit Sirillel

1 X Western Digital 120GB SATA with 8MB buffer (WDC WD1200JD-00GBB0)

TEAC CD-W516EB-02 16x10x40 CD-RW (IDE)

LG Super Multi DVD Writer GSA-4040B DVD+/-R 4X, DVD+/-RW 2.4X/2X, DVD-RAM 3X, DVD-ROM 12X, CD-R/W 24X/16X/32X (IDE)

A-BIT Media XP Pro (using media sticks [uSB])

Front-X Panel (Diagnostic Lights, headphones/mic, firewire)

COMPRO VideoMate TV Gold Plus (PCI 2.2)

1 X 3.5" floppy

APC Back-UPS XS 1000VA

Originally posted by elts_drac

S'ok PAtrik don't let the 1-post nOOb bust yer chops. My sig is still bigger even with it shrunk down. The more info we have to look at the easier it is

I was actually bustin' m0ng0ds chops with his sig chocked full of useless information.. :)

On my usual forums I just have a link in my sig that points to my system bio.. Obviously Bob Ross isn't my real name. I am just a -H- regular..

And to be on topic somewhat at least:

Patrick, any luck yet? Latest BIOS? What do the boot sequence options look like? I keep thinking its the master boot record, but that will usually give you a different error message.. More along the lines of NTLDR missing...

-bob "happy little trees" ross

:D ...the text sigs that accurately reflect, what is in use with, what cpu at what speed with memory timings and on what board and brand of power supply are quite useful with the brand of memory as well.

I find quite useless the flashing or 3d'd or elaborately masked blinking sigs as they are just useless for conveying useful information for trouble shooting.

I took one of those long sigs and played with it in this thread and found it is quite possible to use a little thought and show what is helpful to trouble shoot the DFI sisters.

In my mind it is critical to see 'what' power supply; what memory and size (timings/speed helpful) and of course UI or LPb mobo and the bios in use.

Almost all complaints revolve around only about 7 areas and if the signature would marque the information in the problem area that would make the whole of the trouble shooting process easier. Yes, I know we cannot do such as that makes absolutely too much sense. But it is a nice thought.

I worked in the automotive repair industry in smaller independent repair shops for 26 years and I have a glimpse into people overall. I used to get the phone call where the caller said my car won't crank, what is wrong and I thought to myself> goody we are all safe with you off the street for a while. You say well RGone...ain't that a little harsh? No I don't think so in essence. If a person does not utilize enough logic and common sense to open the conversation with some particulars about the vehicle in question, then I am not so sure he even needed to have one. No I never told them that over the phone but I felt like it. Same old thing of having to waste words asking questions about what make, what model and is this the first time. Blah. Blah.

So I really don't have a problem with a long test signature that reflects accurately the system in use. Text is not a bandwidth hog. Sorry AG, I did not mean to bust your bandwidth limit. Hehehehehehehehehehehehehee.:angel:

Me RGone...1ster>:nod:

Guest Patrick

Ok guys.

I have some time to work on this PC now.

I got a boot disk utility curtesy of bob ross.

Fdisked the HD with the option /mbr.

Now I am trying to create a partion using FDISK. It says "Verifying drive integrity" and displays 0% complete. Although I hear some activity from the HD. I am going to let that go for a while and see what happens. I will keep you guys posted.

Guest Patrick

Ok, I rewrote the master boot record on the original wd800jb. Then I tried to reinstall XP and got the same error.

Then I rewrote teh MBR on the wd400bb. Reformatted NTFS and installation is underway!!!!

That did it. I am going to try and install that 80gb hd in my webserver and see what happens. hopefully I will not have to RMA it.

Thanks Bob Ross. Looks like you know PCs better then you know paint brushes.