heatsinks: when do they become mecessary

Do you guys have a rule of thumb for how high one can push the FSB/voltage before it becomes unwise to do it without a heatsink on the regulators and the SB?

I know that it all depends on your case cooling too, but trying to get a "feel" for it.

...a number of pics of the DFI sister "hotspots" and most that 'practice' over-clocking'; attend to 'hotspots' from the very beginning. Tending to hotspots it what overclocking is all about. Doing the little things to make it perhaps run faster and even if not faster> more stable at the limits, already reached.

There are a number of threads and posts as I said that already talk to your question and it it is not done at X speed but from the get go if you plan to push.

Sincerely, RGone...

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured.

I ordered some samples of heat conductive tape and I have a couple of old leftover pentium heatsinks that I can hack.

Not planning on pushing much until i get a BiosSaver though, sounds like those boards can scramble their brains pretty easy.

..... you place your pinkie on those little

black thingie's.... you'll know when they are hot.

The main one to place a sink on first is the small black

v/reg chip that is located just right of the lock for the AGP

slot. This hummer does get hot.

Well I know three boards that can do 250FSB without heatsinks on the MOSFETS or changes to NB and SB:)

Best to make sure

a) the Case is Big

B) the Fans are Many and Large.

Recently I added small heatsinks to the MOSFETS.

Like the war mod and an L12 mod. Certainly can't hurt:nod:

Originally posted by soundx98

Well I know three boards that can do 250FSB without heatsinks on the MOSFETS or changes to NB and SB:)

If mine wasn't one of those 3 you can make it 4 :)

However, about 10 days ago I spent some time hacksawing heatsinks....

:confused: adden up boardz at hain't gat no sinks on em? Hi got free uv em hain't gat no mossy sinks on em neether and they all dew 255FSB or so. But fans man we got fans. Hehehehehee.

Most nearly RGone...1ster>:nod:

Hi guys, i'm a new infinity user. The board surely rock!! i want to ask something bout , SB cooling. Is it ok to cool the SB by using stock hs? when i touch my SB it get to hot more than my NB..what type of chipset cooler that fit in my infinity chipset ?

Originally posted by thefortyfour

Hi guys, i'm a new infinity user. The board surely rock!! i want to ask something bout , SB cooling. Is it ok to cool the SB by using stock hs? when i touch my SB it get to hot more than my NB..what type of chipset cooler that fit in my infinity chipset ?

Nothing special. Just stick a small 40mm fan over it... or let your side intake take care of it (if you have a fan there).