Just a few Q's

Hi all:

Tomorrow (Monday) I am going to purchase a NFII DFI Ultra B after reading many positive reviews on it. Ive had enough of my Abit KD7 Raid blue screening on me unless ran in fail safe mode. I tried everything including booking it into a IT repair shop who couldnt find out still what was wrong.

I recently bought a new 2800 Athlon +, which will be used with my Lanparty mobo aswell as 2 x 512 PC3200 ram which I will also buy on monday.

Reading the forum and seeing how good this motherboard is good at overclocking it would be a shame (I feel) not to benifit from this board abilities.

But I have never over clocked a PC before and I have read it is important to flash the old bios the board comes with, although Ive never flashed a mobo and dont feel comfortable with it, I would still like to know what Bios version you would recomend mainly for performance but NOT at the risk of stability.

I will have to book it into a shop to get it flashed as i dont feel comfortable doing it.

Also with my setup of my ram (listed above) my 2800 and a heatsink which is graded to cool down to a 3 gig CPU which is sat ontop of a Arctic Silver lined Core, what overclocking abilityies do you think I could obtain?

Thanks for anyones help in advance :)

Im not sure mate because I phoned the place to see what time they shut on the friday (unfortunatly didnt make it from work in time) so I thought whilst I was on the phone ill get some quotes, and he said it would be 2 x 512 @ 60 something pounds for one Stick (forgot exact price) If he has a stick of 1 gig I think I would rather go for that anyway. Well I bought my last lot of ram from the same shop, and that was Seitec RAM ... so if they have the same supplied all the time it stands a chance of being that

Very concerned that 2x512 or 1x1G are not gonna be too friendly with these boards. AT ALL if you are overclocking.

Big PSU and REALLY GOOD memory are two things this board must have. At the cost of RAM these days I would take some serious time researching the RAM specs.

Ok thanks Ill see what they have got, If they cant supply me with anything good Ill take alook at newegg.com they always have what I want normally

But what about the bios version, I think ill stay away from beta, just nice stable ones :D ? Recomended ?

Originally posted by Mekrel

Hi all:

I recently bought a new 2800 Athlon +, which will be used with my Lanparty mobo aswell as 2 x 512 PC3200 ram which I will also buy on monday.

Thanks for anyones help in advance :)

That XP2800 you have is probably superlocked with a 12.5 multi. Not being able to change the

multiplier is going to put a real crimp in the OC you will be able to get. Even a 200fsb is going

yield a 2.5Ghz CPU speed and it is a decent bet the 2800 won't run that fast.

You might look into the XP2600 Mobile IQYHA here for $105;

www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?products_id=3768

Viper

:cool: ...if he pays close attention to those tidbits of vital information he may well stay clear of unforeseen problems.

1. Good memory for the mobo in question.

2. Stout powersupply.

3. Overclockable cpu.

4. Good cooling for a cpu that will be hauling major booty.

5. Good motherboard including a bios savior for safer bios flashing.

You then got a stout solution.

RGone...

Woah thanks for all your help, I guess I wont realy know untill I see the quality of the ram and power supply, but im going to get the best I can afford :)

@G_W - Great links these have realy cleared up alot of questions I had

Well first step is to learn how to safely flash a bios, any In depth tutorials out there. Still also from the information you have already got from me could you recomend a non beta bios version

Thanks your OC nub -Mekrel :P

A very good bios flashing tutorial; right at the tOp of the forum... :)

Some of the later motherboards are said to be shipping unknown to some of us; with the 01/31 bios already on the boards, it seems. That was a beta bios and if they have 'really' changed the status of it> I wish they had made it known. But if your get a board from a seller that has a good turnover; then the 01/31 may in fact come factory flashed and there might be little need to flash to something else. And be advised if you do flash you need the bios savior or a spare bios eprom already programmed before you commence flashing. HEhehehehe.

I also would save that original bios as I have heard of some of the bioses that come factory flashed vary by some small degree from what you might be able to download; unless the downloads have been updated as well. Now you need to go and browse the 'need' to read thread out in the entrance to the forums and finish your homework before classes begin on Monday. Hehehe.

Sincerely, RGone...

PS: haste can make waste and BS is rampant. So make your memory decisions wisely if you plan on turning the 'wick' up later. RGone...Again...