A bit worried...

Hey all, me again with another question:

I was reading another forum, and I came across this member who has a MobileXP 2600 @ 12x215 (2580mhz) and some Kingston HyperX ram. He also has a 9800pro clocked to about the same speeds that mine was. Did not have his mobo listed.

Here is what baffles me. He gets a little above 20K in 3d mark01. I, with 250fsb only got like 19,600. What is the deally here? I was on a fresh install of XP. our 3dmark03 scores are pretty much the same (so video is not my problem).

I am not sure if I should be worried about this, but I am... so anybody got any suggestions as to why my score is neutered? thanks.

OK...I am not going to start the "which is better" discussion....

but... at 250... is CPC enabled or disabled?

have you tried your board at the other guys settings....

and...very importantly... AFAIK, 3d performance has always been slightly lower so you can get to 250...

..a couple things to look at...

Originally posted by exeter_acres

3d performance has always been slightly lower so you can get to 250...

Not sure what you mean by this.

I am not trying to decide who's PC is better, I am simply wondering why I would get a lower score than he would at a significantly higher FSB. I thought the higher the FSB, the better the performance. This is why I did not stick with my 12.5x200 Asus board and XP-M 2500.

CPC? never seen that in the bios as an option. Never had any desire to change my bios since I had no problems getting there with the original bios. I seriously doubt that a bios swap would magically increase my performance.

anybody else?

BIOS's are made for tweaking, there are tons of tweaks that can be done in the BIOS to improve performance, maybe he had tighter RAM timings than you, more BIOS/Windows tweaks, faster HD's? there are endless possibilities.

But the difference is too great between 250 and 215 to just be some little tweaks. At that high fsb, anyone should whip up around 22-23K in 3dmark01.

Maybe it was my timings, I will have to experiment with the system when it comes in I guess.

I have asked this like a thousand times, but I still dont know what it does... what is CPC?

Edit: I must ask what would be some "good" timings that one would expect at these high FSB's? I am asking because I did a test with Sandra and while trying different variants, the results were too close. So I did not see that as a big deal. BUT, I would like to pay closer attention to RAM timings this time (I just don't know what is considered "good" in this field).

Originally posted by LoMbArD

CPC is command per clock, with it on it basically forces your memory to perform a command every clock cycle with no delays.

So is that good or bad? Do you want it on or off?

Since my speed (see stuff in other forum) is not that far off of yours and basically same setup, and I have comparable results to yours.

BTW CPC on is a very good thing but is hard for 512 meg sticks (dbl-sided).

Might be some 9800 tweakage?

(I vaguely remember that I got 20000+ during a run but nothing else worked the way I wanted so ignored it, so don't remember drivers, etc to get there :rolleyes: )

Originally posted by mad mikee

Since my speed (see stuff in other forum) is not that far off of yours and basically same setup, and I have comparable results to yours.

BTW CPC on is a very good thing but is hard for 512 meg sticks (dbl-sided).

Might be some 9800 tweakage?

(I vaguely remember that I got 20000+ during a run but nothing else worked the way I wanted so ignored it, so don't remember drivers, etc to get there :rolleyes: )

9800 tweakage is out of the Q... remember, we get similar 3dMark03 scores ;)

If CPC will make it harder for 512 sticks, then it can go screw itself (and its uncle to while its at it), because I dont need it :D . I am positive that mem timings have A LOT to do with it... I just left mine at stock, which is why I was able to run 250fsb @ only 2.9volts. I am sure I will up it to close to 3.2 with tighter timings (which BTW... what are some good timings). thanks again guys.

i run mine @ 22225 timings @ 220 fsb everyday, stock voltage. I haven't had the time yet to push my memory faster than that but I am sure I have more headroom since I am at stock mem voltage. I have 2x512 (double sided) OCZ Platinum sticks, and they haven't given me any problems yet w/ cpc on (although I have yet to try higher than 230.) pump up your volages and get your timings lower.

Edit: most places you read say that the NF2 boards (LPB in particlar) like timings of 2-2-2-2-11, but mine won't run at that so I run @ 2-2-2-2-5

Originally posted by LoMbArD

i run mine @ 22225 timings @ 220 fsb everyday, stock voltage. I haven't had the time yet to push my memory faster than that but I am sure I have more headroom since I am at stock mem voltage. I have 2x512 (double sided) OCZ Platinum sticks, and they haven't given me any problems yet w/ cpc on (although I have yet to try higher than 230.) pump up your volages and get your timings lower.

Edit: most places you read say that the NF2 boards (LPB in particlar) like timings of 2-2-2-2-11, but mine won't run at that so I run @ 2-2-2-2-5

Great, thanks for those timing examples. As soon as my new merchandise comes in, I will get right on that. Man... those are some tight timings tho.