How many Microcool....

Hi guys,

Am looking into getting a set of Microcool products (namely the SouthSink, MofsetSinks, PPLSink and MicroSinks) but I'm not sure really how many that I am supposed to have of each.

Over-clock.com used to do a bundle for them but they have since removed them :(

Can you guys give me some information on how many I need for the PPL, Mofset and Micro sinks please.

Cheers

Dino

anything on the one near the AGP slot???

Also, what are the recommended heatsinks for MOSFETS?

I think I have some microcool sinks without a job yet ... or should I get the smaller ones???

EDIT: I just realised something ... when u put heatsinks on them, you cane mount a fan on a bracket, like the one zalman makes, and put the fan over the heatsinks on the MOSFETs and it will cool even more :)

Yeah I hijacked the diagrams from the old amdmb forum post I had bookmarked. I would like to make a newer better one but my board isn't back from DFI California yet with the fixed ZIF socket. You could use 1 rather large sink and cover them all simultaneously but I think that would leave the space under the sink not actually attached to a mosfet to get very hot. So i would reccommend the actual mosfet sinks for the mosfets(the real little ones) or ram sinks for a vid card which is what I have. Also the one in the white diagram that is running 82c isn't a mosfet, its the Vdimm Voltage controller so you definitely wanna put one on there. :nod:

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by elts_drac

I would use THIS (the 414 variety) to attach them to avoid warranty issues.

Heya elts_drac

Is it basically the same as the Frag Tape sold on highspeedpc dot com ?

Thanks

Thunda

Yes, use the baby microcool's for the mem/vdd/agp mosfets...even the one next to the agp connetor.

I use the "PLL" version microcool on the CPU mosfets... it covers TWO mosfets each... so use 3. Use 3 baby's on the little pre-mosfet drivers sitting next to the Vcore mosfets. so 3 baby/3 PLL for the Vcore mosfet area.... another PLL on the... well, PLL :nod:

baby microcools on the other mosfets, and a SB on the ...well... SB. I use the DFI SB default cooler on my Sil3114....

I epoxy ALL on, using 1partA 1partB of Artic Alumina Epoxy and 2parts Artic Ceramique compound...mix A+B, then mix in Ceramique.... you get a good conductor, decent hold, BUT you can twist them OFF if you need to, no damage, and the compound mixture scrapes right off the parts so warrenty is NONE the wiser :nod: ..... Sorry TW :nod:

Above all.... I highly recommend you put a side door fan...120mm pointed at the AGP/DIMM junction. Even with water/phase cooling, that mosfet sinks are nice and all...IF you have air blowing over them. Ditto the DDR, NB, etc.

Ive found the stock NB, with artic ceramique or AS3 and the 120mm fan get the job done, even at 1.9Vdd and high FSB.

just my $.02

cool.. thx for the info uwackme..

I just ordered a bunch of the microcool ones which will be waiting for my UI to get back.. Im gona just use some frap tape I ordered and maybe in the future I will mix the epoxy like you said.. I figure even with the frap tape it will better than having no sinks.. ;)

Originally posted by THunDA

Heya elts_drac

Is it basically the same as the Frag Tape sold on highspeedpc dot com ?

Thanks

Thunda

Nope, nowhere near the same stuff. Frag tape is usually just double sided sticky tape or pads. The Chomerics stuff actually has a conductive layer sandwiched between the adhesive layers and it conducts MUCH better than "frag" tape.