Cpu Cooler Help

toast

hi i am new at this but need help i think my cpu is running too hot it goes between 45 - 60 Degrees C and the cpu cores is plus 20 degrees above that is this normal ?

Please help any advice would be helpfull

If your cores are hitting 80C then you are dangerously close to killing it. What kind of heatsink are you using?

Also what is your CPU.

Edited by Branjo

If your cores are hitting 80C then you are dangerously close to killing it. What kind of heatsink are you using?

Also what is your CPU.

THERMALTAKE KANDALF

Complete with Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad QX6800 2.93GHz Clock Speed x4! (Overclocked 10% @ 3.22)

Artic Evo Processor Fan cooler

Quad fan control

8GB of OCZ 2GB PC2-6400 800MHz Gold Edition Dual Channel DDR2 RAM (Overclocked @ 887 MHz)

Dominator ram Memory Fan

Western Digital Cavier 1 x 500GB ,

Western Digital Raptor 2 x 150GB

Asus 2 X Ultimate Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX Ultra 768MB

Plus BFG Ageia PhysX Accelerator,

ASUS Striker SLI Extreme motherboard.

Damn! that's a nice setup, you really need to put a nice cooler in there to finish it off.

To tell you the truth some air coolers are just a few degrees off the water cooling so my own personal choice would be air, a lot cheaper too. As long as you can stand the noise of a fan.

The Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme has a big following here, I prefer the heatsink in my sig (OCZ) it is basically the Sigmatek S1283 but with a few tricks that give it a little edge over the 1283

but its only like a 1C difference, the S1283 is at a really great price I think just over 30 bucks as oppossed to the OCZ which is around 50, the Thermalright is around the 60 mark.

The good thing about the the TR 120 is you can put a fan of the front and on the back so you get a push/pull effect giving you a little more pressure for better cooling but I dont think the heatsink comes with a fan so its added cost, but looking at the overall cost of your Rig, your not exactly searching the back of the couch for pennies....lol.

Edited by Branjo

Damn! that's a nice setup, you really need to put a nice cooler in there to finish it off.

To tell you the truth some air coolers are just a few degrees off the water cooling so my own personal choice would be air, a lot cheaper too. As long as you can stand the noise of a fan.

The Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme has a big following here, I prefer the heatsink in my sig (OCZ) it is basically the Sigmatek S1283 but with a few tricks that give it a little edge over the 1283

but its only like a 1C difference, the S1283 is at a really great price I think just over 30 bucks as oppossed to the OCZ which is around 50, the Thermalright is around the 60 mark.

The good thing about the the TR 120 is you can put a fan of the front and on the back so you get a push/pull effect giving you a little more pressure for better cooling but I dont think the heatsink comes with a fan so its added cost, but looking at the overall cost of your Rig, your not exactly searching the back of the couch for pennies....lol.

well thanks man 4 the help

what do u think about the asus triton 79 or the thermalright ifx 4 or what about a cpu water cooler Swiftech H2O 120 Compact Kit or OcUK Extreme Sub Zero Watercooling Kit

dont the 8800 ulta's have physX built in them already? i dont think anything your doing especially with SLI you would need that physX card

so do u think its a waste of time having the physx card in there

Yeah man I would say its a bit on the excessive side, like having a geforce 4 as a backup to the GTX's, never gonna get used at all. It would be a good idea if you had a struggling system with an X800 / 6600 kind of graphics card. It would give it a nice bit of breathing room but I doubt there any game on the market that would break a sweat on your GTX's in SLI. I suppose you could just take it out and see if you can see any real difference. If not then throw it on eBay and put the cash towards your intended cooling setup. GL

Yeah man I would say its a bit on the excessive side, like having a geforce 4 as a backup to the GTX's, never gonna get used at all. It would be a good idea if you had a struggling system with an X800 / 6600 kind of graphics card. It would give it a nice bit of breathing room but I doubt there any game on the market that would break a sweat on your GTX's in SLI. I suppose you could just take it out and see if you can see any real difference. If not then throw it on eBay and put the cash towards your intended cooling setup. GL

but beside that what about the cooling man lol

i bet you could get by with a nice air like the 120,or zalman 9700

get some yate loons and just have some air moving out or to a side panel (vid cards)

(if applicable)

i dont think you need to OC those things too much lol

(im just jealous)