Anyone Ever Try Kalyway Mac Os X?

MitEclipse2G

Anyone ever try the Kalyway Mac OS X 10.5.2 hack for standard laptop and pc? if not ask me for more info!

• 4 weeks later...

yeah but its picky, i think it is illegal since apple states no Mac Os is allowed to be installed on a non mac machine (as in the ones with the logo). also since that kalyway version has the whole OS in it its like stealing a copy. if you want to bend the rules a little you could buy a copy of OSX and find all the "hacks" to make your own ISO but that's a pain.

i don't suggest anything above the 10.4 unless you like single core OSX :)

yeah but its picky, i think it is illegal since apple states no Mac Os is allowed to be installed on a non mac machine (as in the ones with the logo). also since that kalyway version has the whole OS in it its like stealing a copy. if you want to bend the rules a little you could buy a copy of OSX and find all the "hacks" to make your own ISO but that's a pain.

i don't suggest anything above the 10.4 unless you like single core OSX :)

What are you talking about? I have 10.5.4 and it uses both cores.

Ummm...not to be bugger but this version of the Mac OS is a breach of the EULA and is quite illegal. I don't know if this particular hack is admissible by the forum rules, but I'd thought I'd let you know.

You are being "bugger" because you're wrong. Being in violation of an EULA does NOT mean it is illegal, it simply means it is a violation of the EULA and the only penalty is losing out on a warranty. There has been no court case that has set a precedent in which an EULA breach somehow equates to breaking any law. However, downloading a copy is obviously illegal, though you can get around that by simply purchasing a license and downloading the Kalyway ISO.

Getting that out of the way, I have tried Kalyway 10.5.2 on the rig in my sig and I've gotta say, it's pretty sweet. If I didn't have a weird menu problem that I had no inclination of trying to solve, I would have definitely kept it on my system in a dual boot mode. I might give it a try again sometime. It was significantly faster compared to my Macbook, which goes to show that it was indeed taking full advantage of my quad processor (though having it installed on a Raptor compared to a poky 5400RPM notebook drive might also have played a small part :P).

All in all, if you can get it working with all of your hardware, it's definitely something fun to do. It's a really great way to build a cheap Mac Pro so you can use the professional audio/video programs like Final Cut Studio.