Oc'ing Ga-p31-ds3l With E2180

Hi all

Im new to overclocking and would like an idiots guide to boost my existing setup.

I have a Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L Mobo with an E2180 2.0Ghz.

Treat me like a newbie and try not to abbrieviate too much lol!!

Hi all

Im new to overclocking and would like an idiots guide to boost my existing setup.

I have a Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L Mobo with an E2180 2.0Ghz.

Treat me like a newbie and try not to abbrieviate too much lol!!

Check the pinned topics at the top in this forum, there are guides on overclocking...

You picked a good board to learn on. Read this review, it explains the basic BIOS settings you want to learn to use. Download CoreTemp to monitor your CPU temps, you don't want to go over 60-65C, when the system is stress testing with Prime95. Stay below 1.5v vcore max! Your results will vary, depending on what other components you have. Make sure you have a good power supply and CPU cooler. For now try to stay away from messing with RAM timings and try to use the defaults as that can cause major headaches for newbies. Use the RAM divider as needed instead.

Here's a post I found, that explains the basics pretty good. I did add/correct some stuff that I prefer.

I used this guide to overclock

1. Make sure that you have the latest chipset drivers and flash the board to the most recent bios version

2. On the main bios screen press Ctrl+F1 to open the advanced options within the menus

3. In the Advanced Bios Features Menu, Disable all of the following: CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E), CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2), CPU EIST Function

4. In the PC Health Status menu, set the FAN Speed Control Method to "Legacy" & FAN Speed Control Mode to "PWM" to maintain highest speed

5. Go into the MB Intelligent Tweaker (MIT) menu at the bottom of the page, set the System voltage control to "Manual"

6. These boards have a default VDIMM of 1.8v, set the VDIMM to co-ordinate with your ram. The Geil I have is specced as 2.1v so I have mine set to +0.3v

7. Set the MCH Voltage to +0.1v

8. Set the FSB Voltage to +0.1v

9. Set the VCORE to 1.45v - Please be aware that this will increase temps! <--I would start lower, possibly even on stock, to see how far that will get you first.

10. Set the CPU Host Clock Control to "Enable"

11. Set the System Memory Multiplier to "2x" <--Depends on how fast the RAM is and what the CPU Host Frequency is set at. Keep the resulting RAM speed as close to stock as possible

12. You're set to go, just increase the System bus Frequency to Overclock <--Boot into Windows between changing settings and run p95 for an hour, increase Vcore if it's not stable.

13. When you find the max speed for your system, or the temps get too hot with more vcore, run Prime95 for 12-24 hours too make sure it's stable.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I am also trying to overclock my E2180 and a GIGABYTE GA-P31-DS3L . LOL.

The thing is id like to get it to 3.2+ stable. Ive followed the advice given and i am finding it very difficult.

My specs are:

E2180

OCZ Vanquisher

XFX 7900GS @ 550/700

GIGABYTE GA-P31-DS3L

OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC

OCZ Stealth XStream 600W

Heres what happens.

320x10 > System memory multiplier (auto) 4.0+ @ 1280 ??

My DDR 2 ram has got 2.1v printed on the sticks.

I put my FSB overvoltage control to +0.1v

My MCH overvoltage control to +0.1v

My Vcore to 1.450000v

What happens is it doesnt start into windows and resets to default.

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Edit.

I dont know what i was thinking. The SMM should be at 2.0 NOT 4.0+.

Anyway i managed to overclock it now to 3.2ghz with these settings.

8X400

SMM @ 2.0

FSB overvoltage control to +0.2v

MCH overvoltage control to +0.2v

Vcore @ 1.47....v

Seems cool and stable. ran torture test of prime 95 for 15mins and CPU stayed around 55.c.

Going to do some more tests.

Edited by Undertaker

Did you change the multi before you oced? If so windows only sees the speed of the cpu as stock multi x whatever fsb you have. That confused me at first to.