Mrboo And His Stupid "mild" Overclocking Troubles Again

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rebooting usually means you're pushing the CPU or RAM too far. You haven't mentioned what power supply you're using, I'm assuming it's a decent one?

Bump your RAM voltage up a notch or two as well - I've noticed that on some boards the harder you push the CPU the more the Vcore and Vdimm will droop.

Rebooting usually means you're pushing the CPU or RAM too far. You haven't mentioned what power supply you're using, I'm assuming it's a decent one?

Bump your RAM voltage up a notch or two as well - I've noticed that on some boards the harder you push the CPU the more the Vcore and Vdimm will droop.

It's all in the sig ;) Corsair HX 520.

I've turned off all the power saving stuff and it seems to no longer be rebooting, just failing Prime95 like "normal". Although still very annoying, it's somewhat less annoying than rebooting itself :lol:

Core #2 just failed Prime after 4 and a half hours with 1.3v anyway :( I think I am nearly about ready to give up and settle at 2.8. I'll give it a run with 5-5-5-18 timings and 2.0v (SPD says it should do this at 1.8v / 400MHz). I'll also try +0.1v on MCH and FSB again. If those three things (as separate runs) don't do anything, it's back to 2.8 :)

*Free Nexus 80mm on its way to Markie*

Thankee very muchly!

<- is blind.

I'd definitely try bumping the Vdimm a little.

To 2.1v? I'll have to try that tomorrow.

I've just turned on all the power saving stuff, gone back to 2.8 (400 x 7.0 @ stock vcore) and stuck the RAM back at 5-5-5-18 / 1.9v, basically back to the previously stable settings, as I don't trust the thing now :lol: I'll get back to yer with the results in a couple of days I expect.

Fun times.

Have you tried to loosen the RAM timings a bit ?

I run mine at 5-5-5-15 instead of 4-4-4-12, stock voltage OCed @ 916 Mhz instead of 800 Mhz

Edit: Offtopic for Markiemrboo:My LED circuit is still working fine. I'll transfer it in the case I'll make this summer, it is simply incredible :P

Edited by The Smith

The heatsink doesn't even feel warm, and it bends the damn motherboard so I am fairly sure it's well seated!

Hmm, if the heatsink doesn't feel warm with load temps of 66

Tosh :P This thing bends the motherboard nicely with push pins. It was scary as hell to fit...

dscf0368wz9.jpg

dscf0368wz9.d43ffa2561.jpg

With that much mobo bend, could the processor actually be pulling away from the hsf? Especially if the tension created by the hsf isn't exactly even and centered. If one side is pulling just a bit harder than the other side, the contact between hsf and processor could not be consistent across the ihs, could it? I have found that using a heatsink with a backplate, I can get really bad temps if one side is tighter than another. Sometimes just tightening two screws can make more of a difference than tightening all four. Did any of that make sense, cause it sure makes more sense in my head than reading it!! :lol:

I dont have a stock cooler :-P It was OEM. Joy!

It failed at previously stable settings last night. Just locked up. I reset to stock... it also locked up by morning (logs show it actually locked up very shortly after starting prime).

Great. Such is my luck, you see! :)

I've flashed the BIOS to the previous version, F10, as F11E is listed as beta (although it was fine before...!). I've cleared CMOS settings with the jumper. It's all at stock (exact same settings as before clearing stuff I will add..) and left it running prime for the day. I've asked mother to check up on it during the day.

Good to hear you're still happy with the LED circuit though :)

Please excuse my lack of quotes...

Oh, and I may try reseating the heatsink later. I don't think it's that though, and it's gonna be a complete pain in the rear to do it, which is why I am delaying that one :)

Edited by markiemrboo