64-bit Os - Should I Do It?

cspizz

Maybe she's exaggerating

That's been know to happen.

Also, BSODs almost always relate to hardware issues nowadays. First thing I'd check is the RAM. If there are two (or more) sticks, remove one and test it out.

That's a good tip, thanks. I'm thinking I'll try a software solution first, because it should be an easier fix if it works. If not, I'll check the RAM first.

This is why I hate big retailers. Maybe that's not fair, I don't know. We bought this thing from Dell because (1) I don't know how to build a laptop, and (2) I found a really good deal on this one at techbargains.com--it had good hardware specs and a 17" glossy HD monitor. I'm starting to really regret this thing, but I don't know what else I would have done--she needed something to replace an ancient laptop that was on it's last legs.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@RimX - This if way off topic, but I see you have the full tower Armor case. I was between that and the Antec 900 that I finally went with. The Armor's a good looking case with lots of room and nice features--how do you like it? How long have you had it?

-----

OK, I sleep now.

Edited by cspizz

@RimX - This if way off topic, but I see you have the full tower Armor case. I was between that and the Antec 900 that I finally went with.

The Armor is definitely nicer and a lot easier to work with over the Antec 900. That's just my n00b opinion though. :P

cspizz, thankfully, it seems that you are seeing other points of view.

However, before you poke at other people for not having a life, while you evidently do have a hectic and busy one, take a moment to look at the frequency of your posts on this thread. It would contradict what you have appeared to say entirely, seeing as you seem to have found an awful lot of time to write extensive and verbose replies to comments (including the vast array of quotes and hyperlinked words), made regarding your intial thoughts and so forth.

Did it occur to you that some people are actually enjoying their hobbies right here and now? There are many kind and selfless people right here on this forum taking their own precious time of day to attempt to provide advice and solutions to problems that people are experiencing. I personally find it offensive that you would suggest that everyone here needs to 'get a life' as such.

Yet I am able to overlook such narrow-minded comments and opinions, because I'm hard skinned and quite frankly, used to it. You're not the first and certainly won't be the last to come to this or any other forum, with an attitude problem.

My personal suggestion would be this:

Spend the precious time that you have attempting to reformat the laptop, rather than posting about how dreadful and dire Vista is, when in all reality, you have no right to make such outlandish comments. You wouldn't say every Porsche in the world is rubbish, just because you had a fault with yours when it was delivered, hence why so many people are disagreeing with your statement about Vista.

Yes, I'm sure we could all have approached this a little more tactfully, but it's too little too late - first impressions really do count and both parties are guilty. Oh, for the record, I have a bit of a life, but not much. Insert childish smilie: :lol:

So, back on topic - have you decided if you're going to attempt Vista again, or risk the soon-to-be-not-supported XP 64?

@RimX - This if way off topic, but I see you have the full tower Armor case. I was between that and the Antec 900 that I finally went with. The Armor's a good looking case with lots of room and nice features--how do you like it? How long have you had it?

I've had the case for about 2 months now. I like it. To keep in mind though it is a Full tower so it is a bit bigger than a mid tower, and that is what I was looking for. One of the reasons I got it was that a few of my friends had the Kandalf which they liked a lot, the only real difference between the two is the front doors. The only thing I don't like so much about the case is how they have the PSU and that rear HDD cage set up. It looked to me as though the cage being there would block air flow from the PSU so I decided not to put that cage in, although not a big problem because it also came with a 3 drive 3.5 to 5.25 cage that goes in the front, you can also install a drive on the same unit the Power switch is on and it also came with a single 3.5 to 5.25 cage. Also if needed you can order more of the 3 drive cages for about $12.

But again I was looking for a Full tower, and had the room for it.

cspizz, thankfully, it seems that you are seeing other points of view.

..I personally find it offensive that you would suggest that everyone here needs to 'get a life' as such.

Yet I am able to overlook such narrow-minded comments and opinions, because I'm hard skinned and quite frankly, used to it. You're not the first and certainly won't be the last to come to this or any other forum, with an attitude problem.

With all due respect, I don't think that's an accurate characterization of what happened. Certainly, I was wrong for what I said, and I have apologized for those remarks. However, what I did was a reaction to being treated less than well without provocation. I did not come here with an attitude; I came looking for help, had some negative sentiments sent my way, got defensive and a bit ticked-off, said somethings I shouldn't have, then reconciled (I believe) with all those involved.

I don't think it would be fair for people to judge me by those regretful remarks, but my true first impression: my first post in this forum, the one that started this thread. I don't think there's any argumentative tone in that post. That's who I am. I just came looking for help. I felt that I was treated shabbily right away for no reason. I'm not used to that sort of treatment, which may be one reason I handled the whole thing badly. The whole experience was very upsetting for me, but I'm not a back down kind of person. I was standing up for myself and went too far.

I wouldn't be here if I wasn't interested in the same things you all are. I've been wanting to delve further into this for a while and finally found some time to do so. I was stoked to come here, so getting rebuked right out of the gate was doubly bothersome--another reason I reacted strongly, and another reason I didn't just walk away. I really want (and have wanted to) be a part of this hobby for some time now and hope ppl will forgive me my part in this whole thing. I'd really just like to start over fresh.

I also promise to not always be so verbose. ;)

So, back on topic - have you decided if you're going to attempt Vista again, or risk the soon-to-be-not-supported XP 64?

For the wife's laptop, I may try patches or driver updates/reinstalls before I reformat and reinstall the OS. If that doesn't work, it's back to Dell.

For me, I'm leaning toward Vista--many ppl here obviously strongly believe that Vista is stable and would be a good install for me. Whether it's bloated or not is a characterization open for debate. What's true (I think) is that Vista does use more resources, so I'm thinking (on the same hardware) I'd get better performance from the lighter XP.

I'm trying to be patient so I won't regret my choice, but I've got this sweet new rig just sitting here b/c I've got no OS for it. Something is going to get bought real soon.

If you take like for like, with old technology and new as I quoted in some previous posts, we can surmise that Vista is not comparatively bloated, when ironically, compared to Win 98. It's quite amusing when you think about it!

It's worth noting that Vista 32 bit has just had service pack one released, while 64 bit has had SP1 for a few months now. I have an SP1 version of Vista 64 bit, so I would suspect that has been a large part of having no issues (so far and hopefully for good).

For me, I'm leaning toward Vista--many ppl here obviously strongly believe that Vista is stable and would be a good install for me. Whether it's bloated or not is a characterization open for debate. What's true (I think) is that Vista does use more resources, so I'm thinking (on the same hardware) I'd get better performance from the lighter XP.

I'm trying to be patient so I won't regret my choice, but I've got this sweet new rig just sitting here b/c I've got no OS for it. Something is going to get bought real soon.

You are absolutely right, Vista does use more resources but in my experience with it, it hasn't been anything devastating, and my roommate has a similar system to mine and he is running XP Pro, he's planning to buy Vista but he doesn't like spending money, and in my personal opinion the performance difference between the two is not really noticeable. Also another thing to keep in mind is that XP does not support DX10 that is a Vista only thing. So if that is something that you want there is a reason for Vista.

If you don't mind me asking what are the specs on that new rig of yours?

That's been know to happen.

That's a good tip, thanks. I'm thinking I'll try a software solution first, because it should be an easier fix if it works. If not, I'll check the RAM first.

This is why I hate big retailers. Maybe that's not fair, I don't know. We bought this thing from Dell because (1) I don't know how to build a laptop, and (2) I found a really good deal on this one at techbargains.com--it had good hardware specs and a 17" glossy HD monitor. I'm starting to really regret this thing, but I don't know what else I would have done--she needed something to replace an ancient laptop that was on it's last legs.

That's part of the reason we reformat laptops we get for people at work before we give it to them....one because of all the extra crap that comes pre-installed, and two, to ensure we have a clean, fresh OS.

As for building a laptop...it can be done, but I've never met anyone that has done so because 1) it actually costs WAY more than buying pre-built, and 2) for whatever reason, all kits made for DIY laptops weigh much more than today's typical laptops.

Anywho, yeah, definitely test out software issues first. When I say it sounds "hardware" related, I count driver issues and conflicts as being hardware related, even if it's technically software.

If you don't mind me asking what are the specs on that new rig of yours?

Not at all:

Mobo: ABIT IP35 Pro

PSU: CORSAIR 450VX ATX12V V2.2 450W

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz - OEM, G0 stepping [slacr]

HSF: ASUS V-60 92mm Vapo Bearing CPU Cooler

RAM: mushkin 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s - OEM

Optical: (2) Lite-on 20X DVD

Edited by cspizz

GPU: [old] ATI All-in-Wonder 9000+

Please tell me you're going to be replacing that????

That is beyond a bottleneck to the rest of your system, that's like a syringe neck. Seriously, you're wasting your money on the other parts if you're not going to upgrade that.

As for what version of Vista, I chose Home Premium. Didn't feel Ultimate provided anything useful for the added cost.