Wd Or Seagate?

ronbo191

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used Seagate hard drives for the last 7 years in all my builds and never had any problems. They all seem to run fairly quiet and stay reasonably cool with proper ventilation. Of course no brand is perfect and your mileage may vary.

Jeff

I lean towards Seagate and Hitachi these days when looking for new drives.

... Samsung are also very good.

my main rig has 8 Hitachi drives... drives in my other rigs are either Hitachi or Seagate... if I had to pick a third brand it would be Samsung

the reasons are price, performance, noise, and reliability...

Well, WD has let me down twice in the last 4 years so it time to try Seagate.....Going to NewEgg now. Give you a report next weekend on how it preforms. Thanks for all your replies.

my main rig has 8 Hitachi drives... drives in my other rigs are either Hitachi or Seagate... if I had to pick a third brand it would be Samsung

the reasons are price, performance, noise, and reliability...

:blink: NRG and I agree!!!??? NO WAI! :lol:

OMG. I leave this site for 3 years, come back b/c I'm bored at work and feeling nostalgic, and people are still asking the same questions? hahahahaha. awesome.

Oh and btw, Seagate. They are the only brand I will trust. I've had my two seagate barracudas for 5 years now with no problems to speak of. I've had my 320 gig for a little over a year now with the same results.

OK, I have the drive in now and it is creating a dynamic disk not a basic disc like the 2 WD's I have. It did not give me a choice of primary partition or logical drive, only simple volume. Sure hope I am doing this right? Can someone explain to me in simple language the difference between the basic and dynamic disc. Like which one should I use? The drive will be for games, downloads and music. Before I go to far and load the drive up with files I want to make sure I am on the right path. I have partitioned drives before but I have never seen this dynamic disc and simple volume come up before. This drive is the new sata3 where as the old ones are Sata1.5. Is this the reason I am seeing this new disc type? I hope to get a reply soon because I really want to start installing my games back in the computer.....

p.s. I did Google this question but I do not understand what Microsoft is trying to explain to me....

Edited by ronbo191

Well, I've used them all and only had issues with Maxtor (about 3 years ago) and IBM when they were on the cusp of becoming Hitachi (the ol' DeathStar years). WD have never failed on me, but 2 drives I've had have developed extremely noisy bearings.

Seagate are really excellent, but my preference is now for Samsung Spinpoint drives, as they are extremely quiet and excellent performers. I wouldn't have dreamt in a million years I was going to say that 3 years ago, but here I am!

Maxtor's drives's IMO are crap. I had two of them as backup drives and they both failed within a month.

Now I did have a seagate 40G drive and it was pretty good, never really had any problems with it or anything. Was Quiet and worked well in my External HDD enclosure.

Currently I'm running 3 WD drives. I have 2 Raptors in Raid 0 that about are 3 years old. Never had a problem with them and there decently quiet.

There fast drives and work well.

At X-mas someone got me a WD 500 gb drive. The thing did not work once installed it but I'm not sure if the drive came DOA or it just got damaged during the flight home from chicago. I RMA'd it with WD Process was easy and best of all they paid for return shipping which I did like.

The new drive that I got from them has been installed for about 2-3 months now and hasn't given me any problems as of yet, It's quiet and is working well..

I personally am a Western Digtal fan but the Seagate that I owned never gave me any problems...