PSU fan is failing need new fan.

OneShot 926

PSU is an Ultra and has a 120mm fan and is not running at full speed, Seems like it is binding up on sleeve bearing causing drag. If i take a ball point pen and push up on the center of the fan it speeds up. After it is at full speed I remove the pen and it runs at full speed for about 15 min. then slows back down. I have confirmed that it does not have speed control like some newer model PSU's.

My big Question is approximately how many CFM.= stock 120mm PSU fan? As i don't want to under size it and burn it up, and also don't want to oversize it and go deaf.

BTW the PSU is past the warranty. :angry: and i have replaced PSU fans before, :thumbs-up: and yes i will watch those CAP's.. :lol:

Just get a ~60 CFM fan... Choice's up to you on the make, just make sure you get the right depth measurement (IE: 20mm? )Reading your post, I don't think it was that loud to begin with. (A 60CFM ball 120mm isn't very loud at all) Most of the PSUs I've worked with don't require that much airflow to cool it. A slow 120mm (~60CFM) would be plenty. Also, have you a plan on connecting the new one in? (2/3 pin connector? or was it soldered in? )

My Ultra 800Ws and my Etasis 850W (The Etasis is a massive, industrial, top of the line supply. It's rebranded under several names) barely move ANY air at all. The Etasis must be moving 15-20CFM... tops.

I haven't cracked it open yet to see if it is a 3 pin yet wife is on it right now. It seems to be running cool right now, I turned up the case fans blowing + pressure into the case. And it is not one of those special 20mm deep fans. I was thinking it would be around 60 CFM but not sure..Thanks...

Try some houshold oil (comes in the small squeeze tins) in the back of it behind the sticker, should grease it back up. ;)

Its not a matter of CFM though its a matter of noise, you want to find the dB of the fan...

Try some houshold oil (comes in the small squeeze tins) in the back of it behind the sticker, should grease it back up. ;)

Its not a matter of CFM though its a matter of noise, you want to find the dB of the fan...

60CFM fans are just about the slowest and quietest 120mm fans out there. I have a 110CFM Ball 120mm on my tuniq right now, and it's ~42db.

Chances are, if it's that slow, it probably isn't that loud.

I was thinking of trying that.. but another thing i noticed was the end play (the amount of travel the blades can move back and fourth in relation to the fan housing)is over 1/4 of an inch. :huh: That has got me thinking that it is just worn out, since the weight of the blades are hanging from the housing and it's 5 years old.