new compressor

Nerm

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but you do get points for linking to Tractor Supply - I love that store!

I also give him points for linking to an Ingersoll Rand compressor :) you may suck at phase change pogs, but you have air compressors down it seems :lol:

That is ok! Eagerness to help will never be shunned here at OCC. :)

I am thinking another 1/4 HP like what the last one was, but I might have to go to 1/8 HP to stay in my budget. :(

Can't you get a 1/6 HP, or salvage one from an old A/C unit? maybe you could go 1/4 HP if you go the salvage route...

Can't you get a 1/6 HP, or salvage one from an old A/C unit? maybe you could go 1/4 HP if you go the salvage route...

I am not sure where I could salvage one from around here. Remember I live in a small hick town. lol.......oooh actually I just had a thought. My brother-in-law works as an HVAC on a maintenance crew for Hanover College. I will ask him if he has any spare compressors lying around. :)

Did you give it the smack with a rubber mallet trick yet? Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. But it really is only a short term solution to a long term issue. Were you able to measure the Locked Rotor Amps to verify it was a locked up and not just a bad start capacitor? A bad cap can cause the same symptoms as a locked compressor.

I didn't use a rubber mallet but I did try giving it a couple smacks to no avail. No, I don't have the equipment to test the compressor. I just assumed from the symptoms that it was a locked up compressor.

Ok If you have or can get an ammeter from a friend measure the amps that it pulls on the hot to the compressor. It is usually the black wire that goes to the overload. Any good multimeter should have a capacitor test on it. If you can borrow the tools it may save you some time and aggravation not to mention money.