Overriding max refresh rate on my LCD

I'm currently using a small boxed 17" BenQ FP73G and it has a max of 75hz refresh rate. Is there a possible way for me to override it and turn it up to something around 80-90hz? And would overriding be safe or is it going to kill my monitor?

thanks.

From what I have read, you don't want to increase the refresh rate on an LCD past the default 60Hz. It can cause damage on some monitors if they do not have the automatic adjusting, or something like that. It doesn't benefit you to increase it anyway on an LCD. They are 60Hz beasts for the most part, unless you have one of those expensive beasts that uses 120Hz. Either way, it would be 60 or 120. It's not like a CRT which can use different refresh rates to improve the strain on your eyes.

So, in conclusion, even if the software allows you to change the refresh rate, I would leave it at 60Hz.

LCDs don't work in the same way as CRT monitors, the scan rate determines some of the quality aspects of the image, and is locked to make building the timing system much more simple. Consumer models will generally accept 25 or 29.97 signals only, thus 50 and 60hz. (Some fancy ones take 24p signals over high-bandwidth, but this is some electronic trickery methinks)