Ethernet Cable

is there a specific length to how long of a cable is effective or can i just make one as long as i want

i only have 1000' of cat5 cable :D got it for $56

i work in the electric industry and my company has an account at Graybar they are electric and telecom supplier :D

i also got a bag of 50 ends for about $16

gotta love having friends that work in places like that lol i got a dissocnt on the stuff it usually cost about $100 for the cable and ends

100 meters is the industry standard for ethernet cable. 90 m. for any horizontal cabling then 10 m. for any vertical cabling leading from an idf, patch panel, or mdf. But you only need to worry about these horizontal and vertical standards if your running cable through a company building. no more than 100m or 326 ft from node to node, or repeater to repeater(hub, switch). anything more than that and you could expect a lot of missing packets in your transmissions, thus lengthining the ping time due to error correction, or worse the cable might not even work at all. Also if your gonna be wiring that much cable make sure to keep it away from any flourescent lights, electric motors, or anything else that could create EMI. And unless its STP these are real concerns. Good luck :D

Plenum-rated: in cabling, approved by the NEC for installation in air spaces ("plenums"). Plenum-rated cable does not give off toxic fumes when it burns. Compare with PVC.

Plenum is actually cable that is rated for fire, the kind of wire you would put like lets say in a venting system. No one really needs that unless they're trying to adhere to the industry specs as far as cable installations go.

but that stp is expensive anyway and you realy dont need it. :ph34r: