New PC for my bedroom

I recently bought a 26" Samsung 16:9 HDTV for my bedroom, I knew that it would only be a matter of time before I couldn't resist the urge to build a PC for playing and storing movies to go with the new TV.....two months maybe three.

I wasn't even close.....one week and I was ordering parts.

This isn't my first media PC build so I learned a few things after building the first one:

1) I don't need a killer video card because when push comes to shove I'd rather play games on my main rig, not a big screen HDTV.

2) If I want to listen to music I'd rather use my "highend" CD player than mp3's on a media PC.

3) A PC with a load of disk space is the ultimate DVD disc jockey.

I'm going to need a case and I would like it to look more like an audio component than a PC since it's going to be in my bedroom. I don't want to spend a ton of cash for this either so I headed out to my PC graveyard in the shed and dug out a few pieces that I think might do the trick.

HTPC-1.jpg

The large panel to the left is what remains of the case I used to build my first media PC. (below)

HTPC-2.jpg

The case innards to the right is what's left of my sons first watercooled gaming rig. (below) Before the "WaveMaster Rig".

HTPC-3.jpg

The black box is the aluminum heatsink/housing from an old Infinity car audio power amp.

Not pictured is an aluminum plate for the front bezel (on order) and a section of red oak that I'll pick up from Home Depot later.

As usual I haven't drawn up any plans but somewhere in the back of my head I see the makings of a PC case starting to form out of this stuff.

I have also ordered the guts for this build which are listed below but before I get blasted for my choices let me explain why I chose them.

I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone. My son patiently waited with his birthday and xmas money burning a hole in his pocket for the new AMD quad cores.....now that they are finally here.....well.....we're just not that impressed. Not willing to wait any longer for a speed bump I talked him into the dirt cheap X2 5000+ black edition instead....and then he can keep the rest of his money in his pocket for other stuff.

You can see my problem though....I didn't want to waste the perfectly good X2 4600 that's coming out of his rig and since all I want this new PC to do is play movies and fold 24/7, the logical choice was to build it on an am2 platform.

So here's the parts:

GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813128056

Mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820146673

SeaSonic S12 II SS-330GB ATX12V 330W Power Supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817151035

SAMSUNG Black DVD Burner with LightScribe http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16827151154

ZALMAN CNPS 9500 AM2 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835118004

ZALMAN ZM - F3 120mm Case Fan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835118008

AMD X2 4600 (from my son's rig)

OK that's the parts, time to start building....more later. B:)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWEET! A new modding worklog from Fueler :D :thumbs-up:

As for your components, I would change three things:

RAM: Pick up these A-Data's instead, they're 15$ cheaper and overclock VERY nicely (if you're gonna overclock that rig). I have them, they're running 413MHz (DDR2-826) @ 4-3-3-9 all day long :)

CPU cooler: HTPC I'm thinking quiet, no? The Scythe Infinity (Mugen) is the closest to silent I have seen up to now, it cools better than the CNPS9500, and it's cheaper ;)

Fan: Again, you want a quiet HTPC methinks :) The Scythe S-Flex SFF21D for ultra quiet (silent), or the Scythe S-Flex SFF21E for quiet

Other than that, I'm just looking forward to the build pics B:)

[Edit] Whoops, just saw you ordered already... well, at least for the CPU cooler, do yourself a favor and return the CNPS9500 :)

I pretty much went with what I was comfortable with. I've used Mushkin on my last four or five builds with excellent results. For example my main rigs mushkin ram is rated to run at 400MHz, 5-5-5-18 timings and 1.8volts....I've been running it at 425MHz, 4-4-4-12 timings and 1.85volts for the last six months 24/7 with no problems. Ditto for the CPNS9500, I have one in my main rig and I can't hear it sitting right next to me....I don't know how much quieter I need it to be. :)

Well, I've had bad experiences with Zalman coolers, so I was gonna recommend the Scythe, which I know is as close to silent as I've seen/heard :) With RAM these days, it's up to personal preference, as you like Mushkin. I also like Mushkin, but I thought you'd like to save a couple of $$$ (15$ isn't that much, but still), as I doubt you'll be doing hardcore overclocking with that rig :)

Well, I've had bad experiences with Zalman coolers, so I was gonna recommend the Scythe, which I know is as close to silent as I've seen/heard :) With RAM these days, it's up to personal preference, as you like Mushkin. I also like Mushkin, but I thought you'd like to save a couple of $$$ (15$ isn't that much, but still), as I doubt you'll be doing hardcore overclocking with that rig :)

Yeah, your right ....probably no overclock at all. I'm even considering a slight underclock so I can run the fan speeds as low as possible. But I don't want to slow it down to the point where it can't complete at least one WU every 24 to 36 hours (running the SMP client in Linux/VMware) I guess it really depends on how efficient I can make the case at keeping it's innards cool B:)

Well, I've had bad experiences with Zalman coolers

Really? A bad experience with a Zalman? Didn't know that was possible! I love my Zalman and I'd recommend it to anybody. What exactly happened to make you dislike Zalman? That's too bad that it worked out like that.

Oh, and Fueler, good luck with the build! I, like many others here, can't wait for more updates regarding this!

no computers in the bedroom indeed... you really are an old man :lol:

are you going to use that daft PCI locking plastic thing, or go with real screws? I found the threads stripped quite easily on my Lanboy, but I can't stand the plastic things (my Chieftec case had a metal version which also sucked)

are you going to shorten the depth to make it more like the dimensions of an audio separate? like ~350mm deep, 430mm wide, W/E high

Really? A bad experience with a Zalman? Didn't know that was possible! I love my Zalman and I'd recommend it to anybody. What exactly happened to make you dislike Zalman? That's too bad that it worked out like that.

I used to have a CNPS9500 actually, the copper version, to cool my 3700+ back in the day. It was loud (alright, maybe a little exaggerated, but I'm a silence freak!), cooled like dung (my SI-120 blew it apart!) and the LEDs were annoying (modded those :P). They might have some good stuff, but I think that there's better stuff out there for less money :)

no computers in the bedroom indeed... you really are an old man :lol:

are you going to use that daft PCI locking plastic thing, or go with real screws? I found the threads stripped quite easily on my Lanboy, but I can't stand the plastic things (my Chieftec case had a metal version which also sucked)

are you going to shorten the depth to make it more like the dimensions of an audio separate? like ~350mm deep, 430mm wide, W/E high

A PC in the bedroom would clash with my vintage (old like me :lol: ) audio equipment.

HTPC-10.jpg

That plastic PCI thingy is just a cover the PCI cards are held in by screws :huh: The only PCI card that I may ever add would be a SATA controller to add additional drives. Speaking of drives....after a little preliminary fitting it looks like I will need the full depth of the case as is to fit the drives.

I can't wait to see what you end up with!

If you want it to look more like an audio component, you might want to consider lots of switches and knobs. A fan controller with an LCD screen, maybe some rocker switches and a side mounted speaker (in place of a window). Or set it on its side to look more like a desktop component.

I'm more focused on looks of my (upcoming) mods, I'm more artistic than engineering.