Considering upgrade...

LivingGhost

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anything worthwhile I could do for around $400? Just mobo, ram, cpu, and cpu cooler.

you could get a black edition cpu, they are easier to overclock, all you really have to do is turn up the multiplyer

How's that mobo?

Anyone else got any input?

I wonder what I could get for my 939 stuff...

Edit: Also, isn't there good ram for less? I thought g.skill HZ was supposed to be pretty good.

It'd be awesome if I could stick 4 gigs in, I do do a nice amount of photoshop and I like to alt-tab out of games every so often.

Edited by LivingGhost

you def. need to go Intel and get away from 939. its OLD technology. king is right with the parts he listed. crucial makes some good ram that has d9 chips. if you buy those parts kind listed above your new setup will run 4 times faster then what you have right now at least.

What you want to search though, is the availability of that 775 Mounting bracket thing. Xoxide doesn't seem to have any in stock, neither does newegg, but just search around for a while.

And no, they used to be 50$ ages ago ;) The Crucial Ballistix are Micron D9 (Crucial = subdivision of Micron) :)

As for the rest, I'm sure you're gonna keep your PSU, GFX etc no?

Yep, everything else is fine. I actually wanted to go compactflash for quick OS boot, quick game loading, and no noise...But it would have cost like $600...

Say I wanted to overclock with 4 gigs of ram, would I be better off with 2x 2gig or another set of the above ram? Because I do plan on adding more ram.

Edit: http://www.jab-tech.com/product.php?productid=2570

The retention bracket is available.

That Crucial is $40, so I could get two. Would I be ok oc'ing with four sticks?

Edited by LivingGhost