i noticed something

Arthranas

all u guys who have q6600 cpus oced it how can i go about doing that safely cause id like to get the most out of it but i have never oced anything before

Edited by exeter_acres

Yeah, you need to know the basics before you start doing anything, screw something up and you may not know how to fix it or even worse you might destroy any number of your components...

Overclocking is like s**, you might think you know what you're doing but in all reality your just making a big mess and denying yourself (and others) greater satisfaction...

Reading never hurts anything and can enhance your computing pleasure...

Edited by Andrewr05

Thread moved to OC section....

and subtitle added for more info

ok well im kinda in the same boat as this guy but i have read the Faq thread. Id still like to know a little more and not make a whole new thread since there are many out there. Anyone care to shed more knowledge on my shoulders? I will also be building my first comp but i will make a thread in the build section for that.

ok well im kinda in the same boat as this guy but i have read the Faq thread. Id still like to know a little more and not make a whole new thread since there are many out there. Anyone care to shed more knowledge on my shoulders? I will also be building my first comp but i will make a thread in the build section for that.

We would love to help, but you got to ask a more specific question. I don't wanna write a book here full of info you already know. Since his question was geared towards safety, I'll throw a few pointers out.

1. Read, research and google. Ok, now that we got the boring stuff out of the way. here we go.

2. Buy quality equipment, the stuff enthusiasts (those of us here) reccomend. Cheap stuff might not even oc 1 mhz. PSU, RAM, MOBO, CPU are all important.

3. Make sure you have a heatsink that can keep the proccy cool. Thermalright ultra 120 is a good one. $50 aircooling is better than sub $200 watercooling.

4. OC using the bios, and do it slowly. I don't care if somebody else got it the exact same hardware down to the revision up to 4.71ghz, yours might not go that high. Take it slowly.

5. A little bit of voltage increases stability, a little bit more and you got charcoal. Be careful. You have been warned.

6. Have fun and ask questions. We do like to help out around here, especially those who listen to us. Just be a lil more specific next time.

good luck.

haha i though the most difficult part would be learning how to OC in bios... i was wrong. Sounds to me its more like the voltage that can be very tricky. I know when OC'ing fairly high you would need to up the volts a bit so i will deff have to do more research in this area as well. As far as the parts go i know that certain things OC or are better for OC ing. I will make a build thread in the build section to get assistance in picking the right parts for my rig. And yes since this will be my first computer build im going to stay air and keep it more simple, i dont think ill be going extreme enough to need a water cooling system yet, and its something that can always be installed at a later time if needed.

4. OC using the bios, and do it slowly. I don't care if somebody else got it the exact same hardware down to the revision up to 4.71ghz, yours might not go that high. Take it slowly.

I think this is the most important part, that often gets overlooked. Just because Joe Schmo was able to achieve a certain OC doesn't mean you will, even with the same exact components.