incompatible?

I built a computer, parts from Newegg, turned the computer on and it wouldn't install Windows Vista (or any OS for that), ran a memory test (memtest 86) failed horribly, tested each stick individually passed, put them both back in passed. Everything worked ok for awhile, now I'm experiencing BSOD non-stop while playing games. I looked for the compatibility list, the ram's model was listed but the timing was different.... Of course I have no clue how to change timing but if that would work could someone please explain to me how to (if its even possible), if it could damage my system, I will NOT do it.

Tried to call OCZ's Toll-Free line and it said it couldn't be found..... :blink:

System Specs:

Motherboard: Abit IP35 Pro

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHZ (Q6600)

RAM: OCZ 2GB DDR2 Ram (Model #: OCZ2G8002GK) (5-5-5-12)

Power Supply (should be irrelevant): OCZ StealthXStream (OCZ600SXS)

Heatsink (also irrelevant): ZALMAN CNPS8700

Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS SSC 640MB

I need help ASAP (it's been past 30 days :angry2: so who knows IF Newegg will allow me to refund the ram )

- Kyle

Edited by helpcomp2003

I'd recommend to start by setting everything manually. Check through your manual and it should tell you how to set your memory timings, fsb speeds and voltages. All your really have to do is match them up.

Set your CPU at 1.325 (Or whatever the default VID is on the box). Set your ram at 2.0v with 5-5-5-12-23(?) 2T at DDR2 800. etc etc.

I don't have that particular board/chipset - so I can't specifically tell you where all the settings are at. Read thoroughly through the manual to figure out where everything is in the BIOS.

I'll try that. Ram was RMA'd (thankfully).

*Mod* Found it in the booklet

I have no idea how to configure this... This is directly out of the users manual (looks the same in bios)

This is out of the book

The following items will be available to make adjustments by selecting option [Manual]

- CAS Latency Time (tCL)

- RAS# to CAS# Dealay (tRCD)

- RAS# Precharge (tRP)

- Precharge Delay (tRAS)

- Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC)

- Write Recovery Time (tWR)

- Write to Read Delay (tWTR)

- Act to Act Time (tRRD)

- Read to precharge (tRTP)3

*Mod again*

I downloaded CPU-Z, it says my RAM timings are 5-5-5-15.. I'm not sure what to believe right now. The Ram chips say 5-5-5-12, CPU-Z says something different. If thats normal, and my rams supported why am I getting Multiple BSOD's

post-13996-1199162746_thumb.jpg

Edited by helpcomp2003

I found with my OCZ ram that I had the same problem with it was from improper voltage causing the ram to corrupt data, while I could get it to pass the Mem testing there was still problems, once I properly volted the ram I was golden

I'll try that. Ram was RMA'd (thankfully).

*Mod* Found it in the booklet

I have no idea how to configure this... This is directly out of the users manual (looks the same in bios)

This is out of the book

The following items will be available to make adjustments by selecting option [Manual]

- CAS Latency Time (tCL)

- RAS# to CAS# Dealay (tRCD)

- RAS# Precharge (tRP)

- Precharge Delay (tRAS)

- Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC)

- Write Recovery Time (tWR)

- Write to Read Delay (tWTR)

- Act to Act Time (tRRD)

- Read to precharge (tRTP)3

*Mod again*

I downloaded CPU-Z, it says my RAM timings are 5-5-5-15.. I'm not sure what to believe right now. The Ram chips say 5-5-5-12, CPU-Z says something different. If thats normal, and my rams supported why am I getting Multiple BSOD's

The RAM supports 5-5-5-12 at the given voltage and speed, but that doesn't mean it can't run anything else. The auto settings set looser timings so people can actually POST with crappy RAM or voltages that are too low. The first four timings in your list correspond to the timings on the stick. Make sure you set the voltage correctly (probably 2.0-2.1) because the default is 1.8V.

I guess that would be DDR2 Voltage? If so I set it to 2.100

Hopefully that will fix the problem, thanks everyone. This won't damage my ram will it? :wacko:

I found it inside the UGuru Utility that came with my motherboard in the BIOS, it says in the book thats where I set the Voltages for the memory modules.

Edited by helpcomp2003