Need help identifying a cpu!

hondacrxsi89

Okay here its goes!!

I own an Acer Laptop 5315 series that came with the Intel Celeron M530 Cpu!! Not much info to be found about their Acer Acadia Mobo but I ran a program (Deamon) which gave me a few specs on what could be done to give it some spice!! I opened it up and got to removing the celeron cpu!! To make sure I checked the socket out to find out its a Socket-M (mPGA478mn). I decided to change that celeron for an intel core 2 duo cpu. After going over alot of specs on the internet I finally bought the T5200 (SL9VP) cpu. Here is were the problem kicks in.....It wont fit?!? There are 2 pins on the underside that arent placed at the same location?!? The specs for the T5200 state it to being a socket-m cpu??? This has left me confused?? Any info would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

It probably won't work even if you get it to fit. Core 2 CPUs require Core 2 supported chipsets. So if it had a Celeron (Netburst based) CPU in it already, most likely, the Core 2 won't work. This is also probably why it doesn't fit (Different keys on the socket for the Core 2 based CPUs to prevent a Core 2 being installed in a non-compatible mobo, like a 915 based).

Besides, there are all KINDS of variations on socket M, which has been utilized as the prime laptop socket since the early P4 days.

And if you really want to put the nail in the coffin - find out the chipset. Download and run CPU-Z on the laptop, and post up the motherboard chipset if possible. Or better yet, since you already have it open, find the northbridge (Largest chip, you should see all kinds of lines from the CPU socket and the Memory going to it, remove the heatsink if possible)and see if you can read the print on the chip and find out what chipset it is.

• 1 month later...

hondacrxsi89, a bit late, but for your reference, it's possible your Celeron M530 is actually a Socket P notebook, identified as far as I can tell by being a uFCPGA478 socket. I myself am ordering a T7500 this week to determine for certain if it is or not.

Also, to those of you telling him it's a P4 chip, try making sure your information is at least partially accurate before spouting off about things you know little about, eh?

Good luck!

Edited by vranash

Also, to those of you telling him it's a P4 chip, try making sure your information is at least partially accurate before spouting off about things you know little about, eh?

Old thread first of all, but second, nobody was telling him he has a P4.... :rolleyes: try reading before spouting off about things you know little about, eh?