I need help with my home network

aLeXv305

I can't get my router to get online.

Here is my problem.

I have a DSL modem connected to a Network switch. My DSL modem has a DHCP server and it assigns everything an IP on the LAN side. Now I have a wireless router connected to the network switch and it gets an IP and I can access the router configuration but i cant get online with it. my PPPOE settings are saved on the DSL modem.. How can I get my router to connect through the switch and then to the modem? Do I select PPPOE on the router? the DSL modem already has it configured so i dont see why I would need it twice..

And yes all the cables are properly hooked up.. the computers wired to the network switch connect perfectly to the internet, but the ones using the wireless network are having problems when before without the network switch it was working perfect. The reason I have it as Modem > Switch > Router and not Modem > Router > Switch is because my router is not Xbox Live compatible...

Thanks for the help,

Alex

Here's a few things you can try: (Try either 1. or 2.)

1. Most routers have two settings: Router and Gateway. Before the switch came into the equation it was configured as a gateway, and now it is a router receiving data from the modem (via the switch) and forwarding it the devices behind it. Try running the setup wizard on the routers configuration program and if it asks you how it connects to the Internet choose the LAN option.

2. Connect your Xbox 360 to your router and forward the following ports to the Xbox: UDP 88, TCP 3074, UDP 3074. This should allow your Xbox open access to the Xbox Live Network. (All the Xbox Live Certified routers do is run a Xbox detection script to port forward automatically.) If you need assistance with port forwarding, check out PortForward.com. Just have the make and model of your router handy.

Note: In order to have an 'Open' NAT, you may also need to forward the ports at the modem as well. In that case forward the ports to the router's IP address. This creates a 'port tunnel', filter the data straight from the Internet to your Xbox.

Routers behind switches are going to suffer in the bandwidth department as well. Only one device at a time can connect to another segment of the network with a switch, so if your playing Xbox, your wireless router (and every device connected to it) are going to have to compete with it for bandwidth.

If that doesn't work, could you give us the model of the modem, switch, and router?

Edited by IcedAlaska

Here's a few things you can try: (Try either 1. or 2.)

1. Most routers have two settings: Router and Gateway. Before the switch came into the equation it was configured as a gateway, and now it is a router receiving data from the modem (via the switch) and forwarding it the devices behind it. Try running the setup wizard on the routers configuration program and if it asks you how it connects to the Internet choose the LAN option.

2. Connect your Xbox 360 to your router and forward the following ports to the Xbox: UDP 88, TCP 3074, UDP 3074. This should allow your Xbox open access to the Xbox Live Network. (All the Xbox Live Certified routers do is run a Xbox detection script to port forward automatically.) If you need assistance with port forwarding, check out PortForward.com. Just have the make and model of your router handy.

Note: In order to have an 'Open' NAT, you may also need to forward the ports at the modem as well. In that case forward the ports to the router's IP address. This creates a 'port tunnel', filter the data straight from the Internet to your Xbox.

Routers behind switches are going to suffer in the bandwidth department as well. Only one device at a time can connect to another segment of the network with a switch, so if your playing Xbox, your wireless router (and every device connected to it) are going to have to compete with it for bandwidth.

If that doesn't work, could you give us the model of the modem, switch, and router?

I love portforward.com!!!

Not Xbox Live compatible? Thats a load of BS. Thats just marketing at its finnest.

With a little configuration, Xbox live will work with any router.

How is it even possible that your computers are connect to the internet if they are connected to the switch which goes directly to the modem?

I am pretty sure you will only get a single Internet IP, and unless this is used by your router only one device can be online at a time.

Setup Modem > Router> Switch. Then try Wireless & Xbox live and I am betting it will work. If it dosent, your router will need a few settings changed, like port forwarding etc etc.