Zalman 9500 Help

old_oc'er

That Zalman cooler already has the solid thermal pad on the bottom, when it gets heated it melts and serves as thermal paste. I think you should take the thermal pad off and then apply some paste on the processor. If that is the Zalman cooler that has the thermal pad. Or you can have the messed up base of the cooler, I have seen reviews that people get the messed up bases of the cooler that its like curved and not totally flat!

Have you lapped it? if not I would lap the heatsink of the cooler. I always use 800grit,1000grit 1500 grit then 2000grit paper and always get a mirror shine :) I would try that and if you are still having temp issues I would rma it for a new one cuz somethings gotta be going on.

Have you lapped it? if not I would lap the heatsink of the cooler. I always use 800grit,1000grit 1500 grit then 2000grit paper and always get a mirror shine :) I would try that and if you are still having temp issues I would rma it for a new one cuz somethings gotta be going on.

Ha!

You really shouldn't have to be lapping anything to get acceptable temperatures, especially at stock. Oh, and if air cooling was not adequate enough to keep things cool enough, water cooling would be what you get bundled when buying a retail CPU.

So your suggestion (if I'm reading this right) is to lap the heatsink and if that doesn't work, to send it back? Send back a lapped heatsink?! You are aware that lapping will void the warranty, right? So at that point, an RMA would be impossible.

The solution is not to lap it. The solution is not to replace it with water (though I'm sure we'd all love to have a magical sub-ambient water system like yours). The solution is to figure out why this one is not working the way it should.