Things that could be preventing me from getting over 2.8ghz

LaxInThe303

As my sig shows, I am overclocking a Q6600 G0 stepping CPU from 2.4ghz to 2.8ghz. I am using a Scythe Ninja Rev. B fan, and I am idling around 24-25c. I have read in multiple places where this CPU is known to be overclockable to 3.3ghz! Yet, as soon as I get over 2.8ghz, the thing will not post at all.

What sorts of things could be preventing this?

RAM? (Patriot DDR800)

Video Card? (EVGA GTS 8800 640mb)

Motherboard? (Asus P5N...blah blah, see sig)

Cooling?

If it was cooling, I think it would at least post before it shut down on me, but it refuses to post over 2.8ghz, it simply does not boot.

What are some things I can try in the BIOS? I have been simply overclocking the clock of the CPU, I haven't touched the northbridge at all, nor the memory speed, would that possibly help?

Please let me know :)

Happy Thanksgiving.

Maybe try increasing the CPU/NB volts a LITTLE but before that post what they are now. If you want to find out how far you can push your cpu/mobo without worrying about your ram(which it appears that you may have been doing), you can set it to unlinked so they aren't dependent on each other. Your video card also won't really do anything at all to affect OC stability.

As my sig shows, I am overclocking a Q6600 G0 stepping CPU from 2.4ghz to 2.8ghz. I am using a Scythe Ninja Rev. B fan, and I am idling around 24-25c. I have read in multiple places where this CPU is known to be overclockable to 3.3ghz! Yet, as soon as I get over 2.8ghz, the thing will not post at all.

What sorts of things could be preventing this?

RAM? (Patriot DDR800)

Video Card? (EVGA GTS 8800 640mb)

Motherboard? (Asus P5N...blah blah, see sig)

Cooling?

If it was cooling, I think it would at least post before it shut down on me, but it refuses to post over 2.8ghz, it simply does not boot.

What are some things I can try in the BIOS? I have been simply overclocking the clock of the CPU, I haven't touched the northbridge at all, nor the memory speed, would that possibly help?

Please let me know :)

Happy Thanksgiving.

dude no offense but if you want any of us to help you we need way more info like: cpu volts, ram timings, fsb speed or the max you board can handle, the mobo you have, actually just take a pic or screenshot of cpu-z (all the tabs) and post that then we can help you out a bit.

dude no offense but if you want any of us to help you we need way more info like: cpu volts, ram timings, fsb speed or the max you board can handle, the mobo you have, actually just take a pic or screenshot of cpu-z (all the tabs) and post that then we can help you out a bit.

No offense taken, and since I haven't touched my memory timing, I didn't post the CPUz shot of that. It's Patriot DDR800 running at 4-4-4-12 and 800mhz, which is stock.

Why does CPUz show my core voltage as 1.36V, when I have it set as 1.26 in my BIOS? That could mean something...

post-26380-1195957847_thumb.jpg

No offense taken, and since I haven't touched my memory timing, I didn't post the CPUz shot of that. It's Patriot DDR800 running at 4-4-4-12 and 800mhz, which is stock.

Why does CPUz show my core voltage as 1.36V, when I have it set as 1.26 in my BIOS? That could mean something...

my suggestion woulbe to up your voltage just a little bit and change your ht link from 5x to 4x if it is at 4x then change it to 3x right now you are at your max ht link that is why it will not boot up when you go higher that and your cpu is not getting enough volts. as far as it saying the wrong thing are you SURE IT IS AT 1.26? IF IT IS THEN put it higher BUT NOT A WHOLE LOT JUST PUT IT TO LIKE 1.4 OR 1.38

No, Im doing all my overclocking in the BIOS. Using Windows Vista.

Well in order to get a higher OC you are going to have to start increasing the vcore, watch your temps. I would also set your RAM at 5-5-5-15 (for now) and the spec voltage. I have two quads on P35 gigabyte boards.

Heres a screen shot of each, one requires more volts than the other.

20071122145614bw5.png

Well in order to get a higher OC you are going to have to start increasing the vcore, watch your temps. I would also set your RAM at 5-5-5-15 (for now) and the spec voltage. I have two quads on P35 gigabyte boards.

Heres a screen shot of each, one requires more volts than the other.

20071122145614bw5.png

Should I clock the RAM at 5-5-5-15 even if it's 4-4-4-12 RAM?

Should I clock the RAM at 5-5-5-15 even if it's 4-4-4-12 RAM?

I always loosen the timings when overclocking, it helps for stability. You can change it back latter. If your worried about the RAM put the cpu at stock speed use a divider to OC the RAM see what timings it will run at and how high it will OC. There are a few benchmarks for testing RAM also. My RAM is also 4-4-4-12. I find that it will fail OCCT at high OCs at 4-4-4-12 but will pass with 5-5-5-15, you will have to do some testing...