peltier cooler for the xbox 360

cdburner5911

So, i took apart my 360 because it was overheating very fast, and was horified how pathetic the lack of cooling was. so anyway, i first thought about putting a 120mm fan and duct it to pass mor to the GPU. Then i considered water cooling, but soon decided not because if it fails, thats the end of my 360. so then i recently came across 6 double layer peltier coolers, with large heat sinks and 24 volt 120mm fans. I was planning on sticking one on the cpu, and one on the gpu, i also was going to run hat pipes to each othe components that require coolong. Along with custom coolers i was going to make an ALL new case. I am going to strip it down to the metal case, and probably replace the plastic with acrelic.

Anyway, i was wondering your opinion on this.

The timeline for this is probably a week or less, norally it would take a month, but i miss playing it.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peltier coolers (assuming they are used correctly) can cool below ambient temperatures which allows condensation to form...

In my opinion I wouldn't bother with peltiers or any other exotic cooling methods, if I were to use new cooling I would most likely stick with normal heatsinks or just upgrade/change the fan in the system to a better one.

Aslo changing the thermal interface material (the heat transferring goop between the heatsink and chip) to Arctic Silver 5 or something of equal performance would help as well...

Edited by Andrewr05

Where are you going to get heatpipes from? If you think watercooling will kill your 360 if it fails, what do you think pelts are going to do? :rolleyes:

:withstupid:

You may just want to put that thing in a location that gets plenty of airflow(not in a home theater cabinet!) and mount some 120's like you had originally wanted to do. Really doing anything beyond that(WC and pelts) is too extreme for a 360 and it's going to be another thing that can, and eventually will, go wrong. Thinks like springing a leak or having a pelt fail on you...not gonna be a lot of fun to fix. Luckily for you, fans generally don't result in total system destruction when they fail. Worst thing that could happen with a fan, aside from it giving your finger a wicked-nasty cut thus causing you to smash it against something out of anger, is that it simply stops spinning resulting in overheating and your 360 shutting down.

Edited by iKillSteal

ok, i the pelts have HUGE heatsinks and i might put a centrifical blower, and im going to make the heat pipes myself. Anyway, im going to controol the pelt's with a electronic controller, as to eliminate any condinsate and view tempature.

anyway, you guys are fast at responding

Edited by cdburner5911

take a block of copper, and braise a 1/4 copper pipe, and fill it with refrdgerent, and il try to take as many as i can.

You know you may as well just by a pair of U120E's and ghetto-mod them onto your 360. Not only would it look better, be simpler/less prone to completely destroy your 360, but you would be able to recycle the U120E's, to either use or sell, should your 360 ever die. Plus you could totally make a wicked-awesome looking custom case for your 360 if you based it around the U120E. It would be shiny...very, very shiny...

Edited by iKillSteal

You know you may as well just by a pair of U120E's and ghetto-mod them onto your 360. Not only would it look better, be simpler/less prone to completely destroy your 360, but you would be able to recycle the U120E's, to either use or sell, should your 360 ever die.

i no i could buy one, but i perpously chose not to, it makes it more specal. almost anyone can do that, but only a few people can make one.

as far as refridgerent, i havent decided yet, probably r22

i no i could buy one, but i perpously chose not to, it makes it more specal. almost anyone can do that, but only a few people can make one.

as far as refridgerent, i havent decided yet, probably r22

Hmm, this reminds me of a thread we had not too long ago...

Make sure to post a work log of your project. I want to see how it'll turn out since nobody has ever done anything like this on OCC.