Removed the IHS on my Opty -

Waco

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aha... btw, when did you do that computer upgrade you were talking about? I haven't seen the "oh my god my computer pwns" thread yet...

I did it the other day like 4 or five days ago I didn't want to post a thread about it till my new cam came in so I could post some pics to. but yeah it's done! Well almost soon as I get my new gpu (7950 gt ko) from mat (he's amember here) THEN it will be done that will be my finishing touch, well not exactly! I have a few actual mods I'll be doing to my case but, those will be unveiled when they are done until then I'll just say that there will be some new openings in my pc.

pics?

Waco, the newer Opterons/X2's IHS' made a rather good contact with the cores, so temps didn't change much for de-IHSed CPUs. It was the same for my X2 4400+ :)

Well I built a bracket to bolt down my XP-120 instead of using that horrible clamp setup. It dropped my temps by 10 C on load for the hot core and 5 C for the cooler one. They now read within a degree or two of each other in CoreTemp!

We'll see what it can do OC-wise now...hopefully the contact is good enough on the hot/bad/slow core that it'll let me push it a little farther.

When my roommate gets back I'll get some pics up, PNY won't write a Vista driver for the card reader because it's about 8 years old. :P

Pics!

EDIT: Stepping is CCBWE 0601UPMW. Not the greatest but not the worst.

A couple minutes into lapping - damn this thing was uneven!

As for the bolting down - I removed the two brackets seen in this pic. I then screwed on the brackets from my Swiftech northbridge cooler that won't fit on the board. To mount it, I just used the same hardware and threaded the long screws from the Swiftech cooler up through the stock backplate then clamped it down from above. I didn't use the top bracket at all where it normally clipped on, this helps airflow to the FETS on the board that I added heatsinks to as well (seen in the last pic).

P1010022.JPG

Progress was slow even with 400 grit to start...

P1010026.JPG

That's better!

P1010027.JPG

Post-decapitation:

P1010032.JPG

P1010037.JPG

I didn't realize this thing was so heavy/thick!

P1010041.JPG

Random pic of everything pulled out. I ended up removing the mobo and bolting the cooler directly to the rear bracket using leftover parts. Unfortunately in my excitement to get it back together to see if I'd broken anything I forgot to take a picture of how the HSF is mounted.

P1010046.JPG

ROFL - Just looked at my Opty 165 - CCBBE 0610DPMW. It's pretty much the best of the best, but I don't think my board will hit the FSB I need to get it to it's max (or even close lol).

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showpost.p...p;postcount=267

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showpost.p...p;postcount=309

Jeez dude, what are you crapping around at 2.5?!?! I told you that Asus board was a POS :P See if you can pick up a DFI nF4 board on ebay :)This or this might interest you ;)

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showpost.p...p;postcount=267

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showpost.p...p;postcount=309

Jeez dude, what are you crapping around at 2.5?!?! I told you that Asus board was a POS :P See if you can pick up a DFI nF4 board on ebay :)This or this might interest you ;)

I've never had my 165 in this mobo. This board isn't a POS (I just bumped the HTT to 250 and the multi to 10 to test it if it was the HTT throwing my OC off), but that one core really doesn't like me. :P Remember that I'm also running 4 sticks of RAM and I'm sure my memory controller isn't happy about it.

I just got this board a month ago when my Chaintech finally blew up, my next upgrade is going to be a quad core variant in the spring sometime. I'm not throwing money at this setup any more. :)

Do you just like gently pull that off? is there a huge advantage to sittin the h/s right on the chip as opposed to sittin it on the chips h/s?

You have to cut it with a razor blade (or something similar). It's very easy to destroy the CPU doing this though, so I certainly wouldn't recommend it unless you don't mind buying another CPU when you kill it. :)

Some chips benefit greatly from it, most just get lower temps though. Mine runs cooler now than it did before but it doesn't seem to like high speeds any more than it did before either.

It does, however, run stable with the memory running 500 MHz at their rated timings which it didn't allow me to do before.

4 sticks? Are you running 4 sticks in both of your rigs, or does one use 2x1GB sticks? 2x1GB sticks are a lot easier than 4x512MB sticks in terms of OCing :) And yes, the whole Asus nForce 4 series sucked a$$ compared to it's contestants, the MSI Neo4 series, or (although they were lightyears better) the DFI nF4 series.