screws!

lost

while hardnrg put names to them... the fact that some people didn't know this after a single build is pretty sad.

like he said there are only 3 types of screws. and it's always been my policy to stock 3 basic types. "large" and "small" hex head, and "fan" screws. the only variable to it is which size to use on standoffs... and I test this before involving the motherboard itself.

for anything fancy... there's the mystery bucket of misfit screws which usually takes about 20 seconds to produce the screw needed.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are loads of things I don't know, and I'm far from an expert at what I do know...

It certainly doesn't appear that way when you come and drop knowledge on us like that. :lol:

seriously... didn't notice a patern?

I guess we just don't pay as much attention to the screws as you do, bigred. :P

I never said spit about the names of them... I call em big screws or little screws. hardnrg put names to em.

my point was the same size screws fit the same things over and over again. it's called conditioned learning. like teaching a todler how to tie thier shoes. they don't just "eyeball" it and know it.... well maybe you learned it that way. but most people learn things like tying thier shoes, or what screws to use by doing it enough times.... that is those of us who are not superior to you.

Red's hit the nail on the head. It was stated that you should learn which screws fit which areas depending on their size, heads, approximate threading, et cetera.

Oh that's fine and dandy to say but what happens when you've got a certain type of screw that usually has a hexagonal head but you find one with a rounded head or a square head(same screw type but different look)? Such is the case with many screws I have and it becomes quite difficult to memorize just going by shape of the head and threading(because they all differ so slightly it's hard to tell just by looking). Obviously you can pick some out by size. CD/DVD drive screws are smaller than the ones that hold the mobo so those are easy but then my PCI slots take different screws than the mobo standoffs or HD's. I'd love it if all my screws were standardized but I'm just not that lucky.

Edited by iKillSteal

Red's hit the nail on the head. It was stated that you should learn which screws fit which areas depending on their size, heads, approximate threading, et cetera.

Yep.

my point was the same size screws fit the same things over and over again. it's called conditioned learning. like teaching a todler how to tie thier shoes.

this is what comes to my mind:

b0006irsp601lzzzzzzzyl6.jpg

that's the same learning process I went through when I built my first computer when I was 11 from random salvaged parts... trial and error, then coming to an eventual conclusion about what fits where...