Does a dell psu cut it?

My friend has a couple year old dell desktop and wants to get a new video card. The problem is the psu only puts out 250 watts. He needs an agp card so he was thinking of a 7600gt which I thought would be a nice bump up from his current fx5200, especially for the price. However, the 7600gt in particular (an XFX) claims to need a minimum of a 350 watt psu. Now I've heard this card only uses something around 36 watts, so could his current psu handle it?

Edited by dshiznit1

It probably could but I really would not want to risk it. The AGP 7600GT also uses a bit more power than the regular one(which you probably found the power draw for) hence the added molex connector on the card. I'd shoot for at least a good quality 300w psu. You can grab this 300w FSP Group PSU from newegg and it'll run his setup perfectly. He'll also have peace of mind knowing that he has a rock solid PSU in his rig instead of some Cheap-O Dell PSU that could bomb at any moment.

I may want to mention that I recommended that 300w psu assuming that all his other parts were as old as his FX5200. List the rest of his parts and we can probably find a better match for his rig.

Edited by iKillSteal

Yeah, that 250W Dell PSU is like a 150W good quality one. :lol: The suggested 300W PSU should work. However, after you get the PSU and video card, you're spending $150 upgrading a Dell. Not only that, but the processor and memory are likely old as hell and need to be replaced too. Quite frankly, I don't think this is a good solution. Maybe you should kindly suggest to him that he'd be better of saving for a new system... Seriously, $400 could probably buy something much better than what he has now. ;)

EDIT: How do you know?! :D

Edited by Bleeble

I'll ask him tomorrow for the exact model number so I can give the specs.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I've never ran across ATX300. Is that the small form factor that would fit in his dell case?

Edit - My sister is basically doing the same thing as my friend except just with an HP. I'm gonna do what you mentioned bleeble except I'd get myself a new $500 cpu, ram, mobo, and vid card combo and give her my rig for like $100. Problem is I don't think my friend wants to spend that much money but I'll run the same idea by him.

Edited by dshiznit1

I'll ask him tomorrow for the exact model number so I can give the specs.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I've never ran across ATX300. Is that the small form factor that would fit in his dell case?

That's just their model number for it. It's a "standard" size psu. It'll fit in any case that takes normal psus.

Yeah, that 250W Dell PSU is like a 150W good quality one. :lol: The suggested 300W PSU should work. However, after you get the PSU and video card, you're spending $150 upgrading a Dell. Not only that, but the processor and memory are likely old as hell and need to be replaced too. Quite frankly, I don't think this is a good solution. Maybe you should kindly suggest to him that he'd be better of saving for a new system... Seriously, $400 could probably buy something much better than what he has now. ;)

EDIT: How do you know?! :D

how do i know, my supposed old gaming rig dell's psu POPPED and then took out my 9800xt and sound card AND fried the mobo.....yeah it was supposubly 350w, and the 9800xt needed llike 380 watts.....it was pretty sh1tty

be careful with dell psu's btw they sometimes like to reverse their 4 pin 12v plug. and if U try and plug in a normal one....yeah just trust me it isnt good

Edited by CoolMaster

be careful with dell psu's btw they sometimes like to reverse their 4 pin 12v plug. and if U try and plug in a normal one....yeah just trust me it isnt good

That's right, I forgot to mention that. Dell likes to change the power pins around on their PSUs and mobos. That means if you try to use a good PSU or mobo with a Dell product, something is going to fry! :rolleyes: