E6600

Urizen

I'm not convinced that loosening his timings any more would help. After a certain point, it doesn't change stability and all it does is lower performance. But the only way to find out would be to try it.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was not aware of the fact that he had actually loosened them previously, I had hoped however I was not aware that it had been done.

Hope that he can get a few more MHz out of that chip (I know he should be able to) and keep it stable.

Bleeble, do you agree with me on how I check for stability? Run a quick 30min OCCT to make sure its stable there, then reboot and OC more, and when it fails, lower the clock or make adjustments until it passes or I hit where I dont want to go anymore then check deeper for stability by running ORTHOS?

I was not aware of the fact that he had actually loosened them previously, I had hoped however I was not aware that it had been done.

Well, his timings in the CPU-Z screenshot are 5-7-7-21, so I just assumed... But now that I think about it, I bet they're set to auto.

Bleeble, do you agree with me on how I check for stability? Run a quick 30min OCCT to make sure its stable there, then reboot and OC more, and when it fails, lower the clock or make adjustments until it passes or I hit where I dont want to go anymore then check deeper for stability by running ORTHOS?

Yes, that's a good way of doing it. It'd take months to get from stock speeds to 3GHz if you run stability tests for 24 hours each time you change something. I actually do a shorter test than that. If it manages to make it through SuperPi 1M and a handful of benchmarks, I run Orthos for some arbitrary amount of time (often around 20 minutes) while I'm playing Spider Solitaire, surfing the net, and listening to music. If it makes it through that, I increase the FSB and repeat.

I usually take large-ish jumps while I'm sitting at the computer and a smaller jump from previously stable settings for overnight stability testing. My longest stability test was 71 hours and 53 minutes of Orthos. I was so busy working (15+ hours a day of furniture delivery... brutal) that I didn't even have time to touch the computer for three days. :rolleyes:

Just be careful how long you run stability tests. I've had them fail after 26 hours or just after 24 hours and that's depressing. I mean, you know it's not stable, but... :lol:

right, especially if it fails just shy of 24 hours, you have to feel like crap, thinking that if you had ran it for only 23 hours and you saw it was still going, that it was stable, plus it just seems like a waste of time, running something for 24+ hours and it fails...ahh!

I try to take small jumps of about 10MHz on the bus speed which is 80MHz in the CPU clock speed in my case with a 8x multi. that way I can keep an eye on the temps and keep a rough estimate of how high my temps are going to get when I add a few extra MHz.

i've run orthos for more than 12 hours with no problems, so it seems i'm stable at 3150MHz, but if i go any higher i immediately run into problems. my max heating is 62C under stress, so i don't have a lot to go on anyway, but i'd like to get it just a little bit higher. upping the core voltage doesn't seem to be helping, though, so i'll have to try something else. i'm guessing it's my memory that's holding me back, but i tried upping the voltage slightly on that too, and it didn't seem to help. i'll just have to tinker with it until i manage to either break this wall or blow things up :)

i'll just have to tinker with it until i manage to either break this wall or blow things up :)

Exactly! :D Just play around with your settings and see what works. I think you increasing your chipset voltage a little will help though.

agreed, it will help you somewhat if you increase the voltages to the chipset, also i would suggest putting it on the 1:1 divider and loosening the timings up until you can get a higher stable clock speed, then you can start to tighten the ram, plus on a 1:1 divider, you will be able to tell if it really is your RAM holding you back...

If you wouldnt mind trying this...

increase your chipset voltage by .05V

get your CPU voltage to 1.35V

drop the multi to 8x

bring the FSB to 400MHz

put the 1:1 divider on your RAM

This should give you 3200MHz CPU speed

1600MHz FSB speed

800MHz RAM speed (800 is stock for your RAM)

with those settings you should be able to tell if your RAM is really keeping you back, due to the fact that the ram will be set to stock settings...I would hold off on loosening your timings for a minute to see if those settings are going to keep you stable

when you have done this, post the 2 screen shots from CPU-Z (CPU and RAM pages) so we can see if it has been done correctly. Also once you have done this, you can start to run your 30min test of OCCT:PK to check for stability. When you are running OCCT, make sure that you keep track of what your temps are. OCCT is nice if you are running speedfan because it can monitor the temps and once you either Pass or Fail the test (not if you end it early), it will bring up a folder of all the graphs of your 2 core temps.

Here are the 2 core temp graphs that OCCT will bring up once you are stable with your OC, these were the only ones that I could find off hand and they are for 3020MHz - Stable.

2007081017h45cpu1kv1.th.png2007081017h45cpu2xm8.th.png

Im not for sure that those settings are going to work exactly perfect for your setup, however they should help you out. Thats what I had tried on my stuff, it worked very well, and I was then able to push it further.

With the speed you have your chip at previously 3150MHz, you were running around 61*C full load for each core, you may want to invest about 60-65 USD on a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme and a nice 120mm fan to replace your stock HSF setup, you will loose a few degrees and if it will perform how mine does, you should be sitting around the same temps with a 3424MHz clock for your CPU which is about a 43% for that chip and a 60% OC on the Bus speed ;)

Happy OCing

and you guys said you wouldn't tell me every single setting i had to change? :)

thanks a lot, i'll try it out and let you know if it works. :thumbs-up:

Well, you're actually trying instead of saying "Tell me what do to!" That's why we're more likely to make an effort to help. :P

I wouldn't try to go too much farther with the stock heatsink. Heat rises exponentially with voltage. I'd also suggest upgrading your heatsink to the Ultra-120 Extreme. It's normally priced at $60-65, but Petra's Tech Shop is selling it for $55. They also have good, inexpensive fans made by Yate Loon (I have 8 of them :D).

bleeble, you and those Yate Loon fans...haha you suggest those all over the place, haha!

Nothing wrong with them, I havnt bought any yet, but the way that you talk about them, I may...

:withstupid: They are good cheap fans... ;)