GA-965P-DS3 E6600 Overclock Assistnace

I only use ORTHOS to keep an eye on the system and stress test. I use the - "Blend - stress CPU and RAM" test and "Large, in place FFT's - stress some RAM" test

How would I attach a fan to the RAM? Theres no mounting holes - also I think i should attach a fan to the MCH - Gigabyte chip from what i've read; however how would I do that as well as no mounting holes again.

I bought one of these but there is no room for the bracket on the end close to the video card. As far as for the northbridge you can find some screws that will fit in the gaps of the heatsink and screw a small fan to it is what I did...

I only use ORTHOS to keep an eye on the system and stress test. I use the - "Blend - stress CPU and RAM" test and "Large, in place FFT's - stress some RAM" test

How would I attach a fan to the RAM? Theres no mounting holes - also I think i should attach a fan to the MCH - Gigabyte chip from what i've read; however how would I do that as well as no mounting holes again.

I suggest running Blend with Priority 8 for stress testing. It's considerably more stressful than priority 1. Blend does a good job of stressing RAM, but I prefer Small FFTs for stressing the CPU.

MCH = chipset = northbridge. You can actually screw a 40mm fan directly on top of the heatsink. The screws just squeeze between the fins. A better solution would be to point a larger fan toward the area. More airflow, less noise.

To cool your RAM and chipset, you could do something like what I've done in this picture. The two 120mm fans are held to the mobo case using a small L-bracket attached to the corner of the fan (using a regular fan screw) that is then screwed into an existing mobo standoff hole. I'd recommend bending the brackets a bit so the fan blows air toward the mobo and not just parallel to it.

EDIT: Road-runner's suggestions work as well :)

Edited by Bleeble

I suggest running Blend with Priority 8 for stress testing. It's considerably more stressful than priority 1. Blend does a good job of stressing RAM, but I prefer Small FFTs for stressing the CPU.

MCH = chipset = northbridge. You can actually screw a 40mm fan directly on top of the heatsink. The screws just squeeze between the fins. A better solution would be to point a larger fan toward the area. More airflow, less noise.

To cool your RAM and chipset, you could do something like what I've done in this picture. The two 120mm fans are held to the mobo case using a small L-bracket attached to the corner of the fan (using a regular fan screw) that is then screwed into an existing mobo standoff hole. I'd recommend bending the brackets a bit so the fan blows air toward the mobo and not just parallel to it.

EDIT: Road-runner's suggestions work as well :)

thanks guys i'll give your suggestions a whirl. I only have a stock 500w supply which is maxed out as well - so I think I should upgrade. I have ATX splitters in there 3 times over. The system is loaded with fans as it is;-

Cooling = Akasa AK-960E Heatpipe Cooler

Arctic Cooling 12 System Fan

2 x Case Cooler Exhaust Fan

see hehe :-)

I should upgrade the PSU I think before attempting any further overclocks - or what do you think?

Steve

Whats Blend ? do you have a link please?

I just meant the Blend test in Orthos.

thanks guys i'll give your suggestions a whirl. I only have a stock 500w supply which is maxed out as well - so I think I should upgrade. I have ATX splitters in there 3 times over. The system is loaded with fans as it is;-

see hehe :-)

I should upgrade the PSU I think before attempting any further overclocks - or what do you think?

Steve

Do you know what brand your PSU is? If you can provide a specific model or link, we can tell you whether or not it's necessary to upgrade. If it came with your case or it's a generic brand, then there is a very good chance you should upgrade. If you need help picking out a good PSU, take a look at our Recommended Power Supply List and make a post in the PSU section.

I just meant the Blend test in Orthos.

Do you know what brand your PSU is? If you can provide a specific model or link, we can tell you whether or not it's necessary to upgrade. If it came with your case or it's a generic brand, then there is a very good chance you should upgrade. If you need help picking out a good PSU, take a look at our Recommended Power Supply List and make a post in the PSU section.

It did come with the case - this is the link.........

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/...productId=24546

• 1 month later...
I would like to know the suitable settings for overclocking my memory and motherboard please. I have managed to overclock from stock 2.4 to 3.0 (2998), however I'm trying to reach at least 3.4 or even 3.8 (as other people have without using water cooling) The specs are detailed below;-

Processor = Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Retail

Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-965p-DS3 Rev 3.3 775

Memory = OCZ 4GB kit EL DDR2 PC2-6400

Power Supply = 500W PSU

Case = Aria Gamer DarkStar

Storage = 2 x 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATAII 16MB 5yr warranty Raid 0

1 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-2 16MB

Here is a list of my MIT settings within the BIOS;-

Robost Graphics Booster - AUTO

CPU Clock Ratio - 9

CPU Host Control -ENABLED

Cpu Host Freq -FSB333

PCI Express Freq - 101

C.I.A.2 - DISABLED

System Memory Multiplier -2.5

Memory Freq Mhz - 833

System Voltage Control

DDR2 OverVoltage Control - 0.2

PCI-E OverVoltage Control NORMAL

FSB OverVoltage Control NORMAL

MCH OverVoltage Control NORMAL

CPU Voltage Control 1.4

Normal CPU Vcore 1.35

High Speec DRAM DLL Settings = OPTION1

Dram Timing Selectable = AUTO

CAS Latency Time = 5

DRAM RAS to CAS Delay = 5

DRAM RAS Precharge = 5

Precharge delay (tRAS) = 15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD) = 4

Rank Write To READ Delay = 3

Write to Precharge Delay = 6

Refresh to ACT Delay = 42

Read to Precharge Delay = 3

If someone could please shed some light my way it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Stevey G

this is simple. Just lower your multiplier to 8x and your fsb to 400. This will step you up to 3200 mhz. Leave all settings the same and you will remain perfectly stable, i promise you