Is there a big difference?

I'm going to get a new Intel rig in about a month or so and it's going to be a budget one that can also satisfy my gaming needs. Since there is a moderate price gap between the E6300 and the E4400, is there a performance difference between the two? If I'm correct, I wouldn't even notice the difference unless I'm doing synthetic benchmarks right?

Besides the lower FSB and cache, the E4400 shouldn't be anything much less compared to the E6300 right? I am not going to overclock it heavily either so it should work, but if there are some other points anyone would like to point out, do tell!

Guest ecthlipsis
I'm going to get a new Intel rig in about a month or so and it's going to be a budget one that can also satisfy my gaming needs. Since there is a moderate price gap between the E6300 and the E4400, is there a performance difference between the two? If I'm correct, I wouldn't even notice the difference unless I'm doing synthetic benchmarks right?

Besides the lower FSB and cache, the E4400 shouldn't be anything much less compared to the E6300 right? I am not going to overclock it heavily either so it should work, but if there are some other points anyone would like to point out, do tell!

With the small price difference between the E6300 and the E6600 you should really just get make the smart purchase and pick up the E6600. No matter what you choose, though, get the xx20 model, as it is the same thing just with double the L2 cache. And you would notice a difference eventually between them, especially if you don't overclock. For now the processor won't bottleneck your gaming much, but yes, there is an actual FPS difference between them and not just in 3D Mark etc. You really should just spend the extra $50 and get the E6600... if you're going to upgrade do it right.

Well, it's either an E6600 or a 8800GTX. But the graphics card could be bottlenecked if I get the E4400 or E6300. I don't have the extra cash lying around to have both. But I'll think about it for a bit longer then. I'll also have a look at how much the Exx20 CPUs are.

Thanks e

How about you go with a E6300 and a 8800GTS i think that would be smarter than a E4400 and a 8800GTX. Also 25$ is moderate difference? And for gods sake a core 2 duo wont bottleneck anything its a freaking core 2 duo!!!

Edited by GrandTheft Llama