Lapped my Ultra-120 eX (pics and results)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow dude, I dunno about the dented part, but when I called TR and asked if that rough, uneven surface was normal the tech told me it was that way *by design* which I didn't understand. Unless... it could be that they think or have some lab tests etc. showing that more surface area gives better contact. I find this hard to believe given my results.

More than likely, TR does it this way to maximize profits or they didn't design it like this at all, and these are made in China where quality controls don't exist. Maybe these are no different than the recently publicized poisoned toothpaste, pet food, etc. that comes out of that country. You ever read "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair?

I've read a bunch of review that stated it was intentionally rough to get more surface from the heatsink for thermal paste.

Pft! Rough surface for more surface area?

"NO! No it's not a lack of attention to detail on our part. It's, um. It's for more surface area. Yeah, that's it. We meant to do that!"

If this was intended, then why does lapping (reducing surface area) improve performance? I don't believe it.

Pft! Rough surface for more surface area?

"NO! No it's not a lack of attention to detail on our part. It's, um. It's for more surface area. Yeah, that's it. We meant to do that!"

If this was intended, then why does lapping (reducing surface area) improve performance? I don't believe it.

I was just further elaborating on why they said it was intentional. I personally believe that they do not want to do it, do not want to spend the money on it, or a combination of both.

I was just further elaborating on why they said it was intentional. I personally believe that they do not want to do it, do not want to spend the money on it, or a combination of both.

Oh I know. My response isn't to you, it's to them :)

It just seems like a lame PR statement. Of course they're not going to say "Lapping is expensive, and lowers profit margins. Besides, most of you people don't know the difference."

:P

In reality, better surface area between the surfaces RESULTS in better heat transfer...but unless the CPU integrated heat spreader has matching "ridges" to fit the said poor finish (as I already mentioned...), then the theory is rubbish.

I dunno wth Thermalright are up to... my XP-120 was HORRIBLE and so was everyone else's on this forum, concave and dented, scratched and dull

Speak for yourself. Mine didn't need lapped at all and even with a low speed fan it keeps my Opty very cool.

I'm tempted to lap it and take the lid off my Opty though I don't think it'll help since I'm mobo-limited. :(

Speak for yourself. Mine didn't need lapped at all and even with a low speed fan it keeps my Opty very cool.

What are you basing this on? It's pretty hard to tell just how flat it really is until you lap it. I would have said mine was great too, until I lapped it and found out otherwise.

Ok, let me rephrase it lol... every single person who had an XP-120 who saw my thread at the time (lapping my XP-120) observed exactly the same poor surface and concavity, bar none... unless you have some sort of flatness testing equipment, you wouldn't know the degree of (lack of) flatness until you lapped the base

it's not beyond Thermalright to have rectified the process so it is at least flat (i.e. level, not concave), if not smooth (i.e. rough / ridged)

You cannot lose performance or suffer higher temperatures by lapping and removing the IHS, you can only benefit