Puzzle and Question - Help Me!

1982381106_NOTEbook_memory4.jpg

Based on the above picture, which RAM do I need to buy that will run at a 1:1 ratio with my CPU (T2300)?

And if it's not PC5300, would that be a better setup?

Thanks in advance!

That CPU only has a FSB of 667MHz, right?

If you were in 1:1, that would make your memory at 166 MHz. Your memory is out performing your CPU, in a way.

Also, note the FSB:DRAM ratio - your DRAM is higher, meaning you don't need new RAM.

Odds are that your BIOS is locked and you won't be able to change the divider if your using a laptop...If not, you can use 1:1 with that memory.

The thing is I'm upgrading to 2GB because I'm not happy with Vista + 1GB. So I got the PC5300, because it was only $124 on the egg. Is a 1:2 ratio better or worse than a 5:8?

I know this stuff is probably not noticeable generally speaking, but the extra concern comes from the fact that I have an x1600 HM video card in the lappy. It has 128MB dedicated RAM, but will grab up to 384MB of system RAM. And I have a feeling that it would be noticeable in games.

BTW that PC you found, was MINE! :lol:

The thing is I'm upgrading to 2GB because I'm not happy with Vista + 1GB. So I got the PC5300, because it was only $124 on the egg. Is a 1:2 ratio better or worse than a 5:8?

I know this stuff is probably not noticeable generally speaking, but the extra concern comes from the fact that I have an x1600 HM video card in the lappy. It has 128MB dedicated RAM, but will grab up to 384MB of system RAM. And I have a feeling that it would be noticeable in games.

BTW that PC you found, was MINE! :lol:

Heh, what's the seriel number? :P

Seriously though....Generallly speaking you won't notice a dramatic change in RAM ratios, and if your doubling the memory like that, you'll only see gains, thats for sure. Can you adjust the amount of system memory it uses? I'd think lowering it slightly to keep more system memory and ensure that it uses more of the dedicated RAM would acutally improve your performance.

Edited by DevilMB3017

Hmm, i think you might have a problem because that PC5300 ram you bought will run at 333.5Mhz (667 effective) however your old stuff is running at 266 (523) which means that you will have to underclock your new ram in order to get both sticks to work as you can't set different dividers for each stick and the old stuff will prolly not overclock (and it isn't a good idea in a lappy anyway) So while it will still work you should have just bought cheaper, slow ram. Or you have the option of selling your slower sticks and replacing them with the same type as you just bought.

Comp Dude2: the old sticks were 2x512, these are 2x1gb...since my lappy only has two slots i sold the old ones on ebay. got pretty close to market value for a single GB stick, $48. Perdy cool, techinically the upgrade is only costing me about $70.

Arkadiy: Well the puzzle was helping me figure out what a 1:1 FSB/RAM ratio would be (I'm not very good at math, and although I did get 166MHz I'd never heard of such RAM before in DDR2), based on the picture above. The question is what RAM would be best.

BTW, yeah, only $124 for a dual-channel 2GB kit on newegg.

ah right, i didn't know you had sold the old ones, i thought you had a 1Gb stick and had bought another.

Well from what you have said i think they would run fine, i quick google told me that the fsb of that chip is 667 (cpu-z tells you anyway so you can make sure) and this means that you will be able to run them on a 1:1 divider fine. When you put them in you should check cpu-z to see if they are running at the correct speed because either you will have an auto divider which will run them at the correct speed or they will run a bit slower than they should and you will need to poke them up a bit in the bios. GL :)

Edited by Comp Dude2

That's what I was hoping (1:1), but DDR2 means 333x2 right? Unless it's 166x2x2, which the name acually implies, double data rate TWO. lol...i doubt it though. I think I'll be running at 1:2, hopefully my stupid hypermemory will be able to take advantage of this.

Even though I have an Acer (and I thought they let you mess around with the BIOS), the BIOS is very much dumbed down; Think Dell.

edit:

I got the sticks. it's going at 1:2. I have to take back anything bad I've ever said about hypermemory. With 2 gigs it works great. No more low Q in BF2...I pushed it to med/high so far, and still posting fps in the 50-100s. pretty sure I can max out games now.

if you game on a HM system, get 2 gigs. very cheap, worthwhile upgrade. it's like buying a new card.