My new WC build

Mombo

Well I am starting to buy piece by piece my new WC setup. It is going to take me a few weeks lol to get all the money but im buying little by little so I can mod my case as the stuff comes instead of all at once. So anyways here is what I am getting.

Thermochill PA120.2 Radiator

DD-D5 Pump

Swiftech Apogee GT CPU block

Swiftech Micro Res

Masterkleer 7/16 tubing

2xYate Loon 120mm fans

Distilled Water + PT_Nuke and Pentosine G11 (light blue)

Everything will be 1/2' as for the fittings but I am going to be using 7/16 tubing by masterkleer to get a tighter fit and theoretically slightly better flow rates. The CPU block as for now is the Apogee but once I get some more info about the FuZion block I might switch to it. Which means my block is last on my list to buy. I am going to add a graphics card into the loop down the road after I am comfortable with all of this :P

It's very simple and looks better imo :P , plus, it also keeps your pressure better.

I actually like the looks of a dual bay res myself. I purposely keep my water level a little low in it so I can see the flow of the water in the front of my case. But I agree that a T-line is better for pressure. Plus it makes the inside look better with less tubing clutter. If I build another WC setup I'll probably go that route. I think I might even try an inline valve on the fill line. I've never seen that done, but it seems easy and makes sense to me.

As far as the kit, it looks pretty good. A lot of that stuff is parts I'm not very familiar with though, honestly. The Apogee GT is one I don't know at all. Though like I said, if it were me, I'd go for the Storm I think, just because it seems to be the best out there. As for the radiator, I don't know that particular brand, but it looks VERY similar to the BlackIce line which is very well known. The pump is definitely a good choice as we talked about before. I know the swiftech mini-res is very small, but I think I'd still go with a fillport and a T-line myself.

The 7/16 line on 1/2 fittings is a nice idea, but if you use hose-clamps at every junction you shouldn't have a problem anyways. 1/2" tubing can be a real pain if you don't have room in your case for big bends, so smaller lines might be nice.

ya I have been considering doing the T-line. So it is still a possibility. As for the Apogee GT I have done quite a bit of research for the past couple weeks and found that the high flow low restriction design is actually superior to the High restriction jet system of the storm. As well as the Apogee helps keep the pressure of the system. The Apogee Extreme which is $45 and the Apogee GT $55 actually both get much better temp's then the Storm rev 2 :( which is $75 The GT just seems to work better for multi core cpus

Thermochill is actually the top brand of radiators made right now. If you look around on any WC forums you will notice that everyone pretty much has them if they can fit them in there machine. The thermochill's actually have the least amount of pressure loss, best cooling, and best flow....which are all pretty much linked to eachother. The thermochill 2x120 rad which is the pa120.2 is actually more effective at cooling then the 3x120 mm of the other top brands. Which second best is the Swiftech MCR series. Its pretty massive though lol and of course costs more.

Ya I was hoping using the 7/16 would help clear up some clutter seeing as its outer diameter is the same as 3/8 tubing and its inner diameter is so close to 1/2. There is actually some test going on I was reading about that are trying to prove that 7/16 has an even higher flow rate then the 1/2...something about the fittings creating turbulance with the 1/2 where the 7/16 helps eliminate that

As for the radiator, I don't know that particular brand, but it looks VERY similar to the BlackIce line which is very well known.

Thermochill is based in the UK and produces the highest performance watercooling radiators in the world

oops, too slow... ah well

i have the MCR-220 in my rig which cools my dual core @ 1.632v, and two gpu's at 1.712v... that's a 24% and 22% overvolt respectively... load temps usually cpu/gpu/gpu of 38/43/45 or thereabouts

so any dual Thermochill will easily fit the bill

the pump and res i have also (i got the H20-Apex (storm) kit) and can't fault them... i'd mention that 7/16" tubing is a complete pain in the arse to get over the D5... the barbs on the block, rad, and res aren't exactly easy, but it's nothing like the swearing match you will have with the D5... also, i can NOT remove the tubing from anything... i have to carefully surgeon cut it off because it's so dang tight lol... i think it took me like 2 hours to get all the tubing on...

the point of the ramble is: consider 1/2" tubing instead on everything... i have 1/2" tygon on one section (gpu to gpu) and it's a lot less bothersome and has an equally watertight fit...

to be honest, you don't save THAT much room with 7/16" tubing... it's not like it curves that much tighter anyway... if i was to build a new H20 rig it'd be 1/2" all round, and Tygon at that...

anyway, those are my little tidbits of opinions from a Swiftech kit owner...

Cool you are probably right about the 7/16 tubing lol I am going to go for it anyways and then get extremely annoyed and then be pleased with Tygon tubing afterwards :P Then I will fill like I have gone through much to become a veteran or something like that.....

How often do you take it apart and what not?

Cool you are probably right about the 7/16 tubing lol I am going to go for it anyways and then get extremely annoyed and then be pleased with Tygon tubing afterwards :P Then I will fill like I have gone through much to become a veteran or something like that.....

How often do you take it apart and what not?

I use 1/2" Clearflex 60 and that was a pain in the arse over the D5, but doable.

I took my loop apart the first time after about 2 weeks because I was in a hurry and didn't clean the radiator :P, but otherwise, it's been running fine for over 6 months.

I would say, watch your lines, if they start to get murky looking, it's time to take it apart, clean everything and then go another round at it.

Cool sounds easy enough. I have been measuring stuff out and I have figured out a good place for the fillport so I am going to T-line it. Should make draining and filling it up super easy as well. I found a pretty extensive thing about cleaning the radiator I am going to do so hopefully I wont have to take it apart for a while.

i think i've taken it apart once... and that was for adding gpu blocks... i think i kept the same water and just mixed up some additional coolant/water for the added tubing and blocks hehe

i think i've taken it apart once... and that was for adding gpu blocks... i think i kept the same water and just mixed up some additional coolant/water for the added tubing and blocks hehe

I don't want to be a pain in your arse....but are we ever going to get to see your rig finished? :lol:

I don't want to be a pain in your arse....but are we ever going to get to see your rig finished? :lol:

arg... yes... one glorious day... it will be finished... it would be done already if i even had something remotely like a workshop (or a spare room)... i'd have to section off an area of my room or something at the moment...

there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day to get even the basic things done for me at the moment, let alone developing a pwm fan controller, finishing off the panels and front bezel/driveplates, wiring up all the ccfls and rewiring all the fans...

at the moment i'm working on extreme sleep deprivation training to fit more hours into a day so i might get back to modding soon :unsure: