Cool way to boost wireless signal

Makaveli

Yeah road-runner, I wanted to see if it works or not...cause I don't need to try it. Just thought this would help some people who have low wireless signals (people in their basements etc).

I was just agreeing with you and I would like to know if it worked also. I do not need it either.

you can actually boost it with a satellite dish, wok, frying pan, pringles tube... but these all work on similar principles to a satellite dish: focus and direction

google: cantenna

Edited by hardnrg

Which is why people might believe the video. It's showing "solutions" that sort of resemble the real thing. Like using a data cable (or bluetooth) to turn your phone into a modem, or using a cantenna... I know the guy's trying to make a joke but I can already imagine there are going to be people that see this video and take it seriously (just look at this thread) who then call the family/friend IT guy and ask them why it isn't working.

Wifi runs at 2.4ghz whereas a typical GSM phone will run at 800, 900, or 1900 mhz, a typical CDMA phone runs at 1.23mhz or 3.69mhz. No cell phone runs at 2.4ghz, so they don't even speak to each other correctly. Second, plugging an ethernet cable into your computer and nothing else won't do a thing, it won't even show up as if you did anything because you didn't! It's just like taking an extension cord, plugging it into a wall, and plugging nothing into the other end.... Third, a phone cannot be detected as a type of NIC device without being talking to the computer in some way, whether it be bluetooth, IR, or a data cable, and even then you need to load the drivers for your phone to interact with your computer!

Forget the phone, I really want to wrap this guy up in some CAT5 cable and ship him to a country that doesn't understand the word computer. :smack: