Review The Build

Verran

Guest Raven65

well I guess there will be no ocing then. My son has a system almost identical and has a 450w. when we oc , all I have to say is not good. It's an Enermax PSU. It's not a cheapo.

Since you're not quite at 700 dollars yet, maybe you should put up $20 more for a 320GB SATA 3.0GB/s HDD.

This guy's current system has a 20GB HDD at less than half capacity.... I think 250GB will suit him just fine :P Besides, I'm not in a hurry to max out the budget if I don't have to. Underbudget is a good thing :P Though I might consider a 16MB cache drive, if I can find one with NCQ...

why are you buying seperate IDE and Floppy cables? I know there's no big difference, but why? They come with the mainboard mate! Also consider the rdx-200 for 60$ on the egg right now!

Apparently the Infinity series come with flat ribbon cables, which is lame. So for $4 or so, I'm going to get rounded ones :) Also, I gave the ATi board a LOT of thought. But since I have to do tech-support for this if it breaks, I'm going with the nf4 board because I already know all about DFI nf4 stuff.

I would probably stick a 4000+ in there and use your own HS.

It depends what the computer gets used most for I guess.

I'm definately considering the 4000+. If it was my rig, I'd have already ordered it :P, but with this one, warranty is a big part. A matter of months versus a matter of years. Big difference. If they had a retail 4000+ listed, I'd be all over that.

He'll be using it for gaming, Age of Empires III type stuff. I thought about going to 2GB, but that's at least another $100, which doesn't seem worth it for this system. I also thought about bumping up to a 7900GS for about $50. If anything, I think I'll go that route. I think I'll just propose it to him and let him decide. Even as this thing sits, it'll completely dominate what he's used to.

well I guess there will be no ocing then. My son has a system almost identical and has a 450w. when we oc , all I have to say is not good. It's an Enermax PSU. It's not a cheapo.

LOL. There will DEFINATELY be no OCing. Did I mention this guy is currently using a P3 500 with Win98? He's not technical. Long-long-long life and stability are the name of the game for this build. Mainly because any tech-support is the job of yours truely, and I've got enough of that on my plate as it is :P

Thanks for the feedback everybody. Mainly, I just want to make sure I'm not forgetting something huge. Thankfully, I've never ordered a full build and forgotten something huge like a video card, but I still worry. It'll happen sooner or later :)

THIS will be all over a 7600GT, and its like 20$ more.

@ Ste: whats with stock cables being ATA33? Also for the Lanparty series? I'm using the stock cables, could I be loosing performance whilst burning DVDs cause the cables can't go faster? Seems kinna odd, but I'm worried :ph34r:

I see your point bout the RDX-200, does make sense. Looks good now :)

I would PASS on the OEM chip in this case. $3 for your sanity IF something goes wrong just makes the retail chip smarter.

I'd also not spend that kinda $$$ on retail packaged ram. you can pickup OEM ram at most computer shops with lifetime replacement warrenties for about 3/4 that price.