Hard Drive Cooling

madwizard

Got this little problem.. My office rig. ( not my sig ) Hard Drive is running a bit hot. 189c.. A friend told me I should get a hard drive cooler for it.

What I need to know is.. Is 189c bad ? and are hard drive coolers worth the $$ and do they work ?

Thanks...

Got this little problem.. My office rig. ( not my sig ) Hard Drive is running a bit hot. 189c.. A friend told me I should get a hard drive cooler for it.

What I need to know is.. Is 189c bad ? and are hard drive coolers worth the $$ and do they work ?

Thanks...

Where did you get the temp of 189 degrees C? Perhaps you should get a thermal probe, and attach it to the hard drive, or even just put you hand on it. I find it hard to believe the hard drive is running at 189C, because it would have broken down way before that temp.

I am using PC Wizard to monitor my rig. I use an Abit board and some monitors do not detect..

One person said what you said that it's an error reading.. The hard drive runs fine, no problems. The 189c is a constant reading and never changes. It sorta bothers me because I don't know all that much about system temps and I keep thinking my HD is running to hot.

Definitely an error reading.

HDD Health should be able to read your drive temps.

If it can't I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If you are worried about it just make sure the drive gets enough airflow and isn't too close to other heat sources.

If you just have the one drive it shouldn't be much of a problem at all.

Edited by jammin

Thanks. :thumbs-up: I will try HDD Health . No the Hard Drive is by itself away from any heat. The rig has a front fan pulling in and a 120mm fan in the back pulling out. All my other temp readings are stable. 32c for the processor. 25c for the main board. Thats if the other readings are true and not error readings also.

feel it with your hand, if its hot, have a fan blowing over it. I have my 2 HDDs in a cage with a 80 blowing right at them, they are around 25C all the time. If no fan is on them, its more like 45C. And that is definetly an error, I had one of my HDDs (before it died on me and I had to RMA) tell me it was at 253C, and obviously I was like YEA RIGHT!

DTemp is another tool to read drive temps... works on all my ide drives... probably all my sata drives too, but i use MBM for all my temp monitoring (cpu, gpu1, gpu2, chipset, hd, pwm) these days