Fan Question

Coyotekid

Put together my first computer (finally) mostly new parts so far - Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 mobo, Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe, with an Arctic P4 cooler/heatsink. No serious issues so far, but I noticed that after the welcome screen comes up the CPU fan goes on and off. When I start scooting around the internet, playing games, etc.. the fan comes on and stays on. Is this normal or not?

Also, I noticed that my back USB light wasn't working earlier this evening, so I swapped out the cord and the power supply, and noticed that one of the prongs attaching the heatsink/cooler to the CPU had managed to come out. I carefully pushed it back in, gave it a few controlled pulls and it seemed to stay put. I checked the power supply again, found out it worked without a hitch (except for the start/stop issue), and it seems to be running along smoothly. My next big question is did I not put enough paste on the CPU, or did one of the plugs come undone the last time that I reseated my mobo? :unsure:

Thanks for any help

How quickly does it flick on and off. As fanatic says it could be the cool and quiet function but this wouldn't cause it to speed up and slow down very quickly, maybe leaving about 20+ seconds between a change.

It came on for maybe 2 seconds then switched off for 2, and repeated that sequence a few times. When I got online it started up and stayed on - that's why I was wondering if it was due to the temperature/cpu workload.

Sad to say, but it's a moot point - I logged a few questions on the Power Supply list because it refused to boot up this morning so I swapped it out. Still no answers yet, either. :(

Thanks anyways

OK.

Go into the bios and turn off smart fan. It should be under temperature monitoring etc.

It's a good idea but it sucks. At work we constantly get people bringing in overheating pcs because the "smart" fan was enabled.

OK.

Go into the bios and turn off smart fan. It should be under temperature monitoring etc.

It's a good idea but it sucks. At work we constantly get people bringing in overheating pcs because the "smart" fan was enabled.

Switched over from auto setting for the smart fan to Intel setting - when it powered back up, the CPU fan started scooting along just fine. Hopefully that should solve it - I half expected it to be related to the faulty psu i switched out.

Thanks - so far so good - I'll keep an eye on it though :D