What Hardware Would Last The Longest

lost

without the need for an upgrade anytime soon? any part of the computer that you would think that would last the longest without it getting outdated computer part and accessory

computer part

- network card (my 100 still kicks ., had has been for ages)

- 56k dial up modem (u never know when the need might pop up for a dial up connection)

- sound card (they actually last longer compared to video cards right?)

- ram (think how long DDR has been out for, and even with DDR2, it still isnt that much of an improvement)

computer accessory

- keyboard

- CTR monitor

- case

- headset

i could be wrong, any more to the list?

well, condidering I mow through keyboards about every 3 months... I have to rule that out.

ram is upgraded constantly (more ram and different ram)... so that's out

CRT's don't last forever... the do die because they're a high voltage device

network cards are a dime a dozen, and now built into mobos... so I don't consider them an issue.

mic / headsets get broken (3 in 2 months)

modems... who in the heck has one installed anymore?

cases... every time I find one with better cooling or build a new rig to replace one of my main ones I get a new case.

sound cards... suprisingly if I'm not using onboard I use an OLD creative labs extigy. it's nice since it serves as much more than just a sound card. can plug the ipod in, more than one pc into it, and still function when the main rig is turned off.

but I'd honestly say the item that lasts the longest, was overlooked on your list. speakers. my main set of speakers is now going on 10 years old. they were an expensive investment that was worth every penny.

Network cards are out. I just installed a old network card that was before ethernet. Don't remember what it was caused, but killed the ethernet slot on my switch until I restarted the switch. I would agree with speakers. CD-Rom drives would be second.

EDIT: It was a Token Ring Card

Edited by Vasto

CRT monitors defently out, I have gone through a few of them boys but have not had a problem with my lcd screen (*Knocks on wood*).

Case fans, those seem to last quite some time along with some USB and Firewire cards...I still have a USB 1.0 card pluged in that I use to power my speakers and my USB wireless network adapter