Comcast Internet Question

gotdamojo06

Ok, at my parents house they have comcast highspeed internet, I was thinking of putting up some rigs that I dont use there and hooking them to the internet and having them fold.

In the basement, they have their computer hooked to the internet with the cable modem. they have wireless networking for my sister to get internet in her room. I was wondering if I could go out and buy a new cable modem to hook to the tv cable in my old room and set up the computers in there. Would that make the bill bigger?

they have wireless networking for my sister to get internet in her room.

Aren't you one of the guys that normally tells other people to read? :lol:

My guess is that he doesn't want to go out an buy a bunch of wireless NICs.

Edited by Bleeble

Ok, at my parents house they have comcast highspeed internet, I was thinking of putting up some rigs that I dont use there and hooking them to the internet and having them fold.

In the basement, they have their computer hooked to the internet with the cable modem. they have wireless networking for my sister to get internet in her room. I was wondering if I could go out and buy a new cable modem to hook to the tv cable in my old room and set up the computers in there. Would that make the bill bigger?

How exactly do you have the wireless network set up? Does the cable modem from comcast have built in wireless (some companies have this, not sure if comcast is one of them), or do you have the cable modem going into a wireless router?

Despite Bleeble's knock on sdy's reading ability, sdy's correct (maybe more important than reading comprehension is knowledge on the subject at hand first :P...aka. that some cable modems have built-in wireless). If you don't already have a wireless router, you need to get one (though if your cable modem has built-in wireless, you could just get a regular router). Either way, it's going to have wired cat5 ports. You want the cable modem to go into your router, and then the computers connect to the router. If you need to branch to another place in the house (without using wireless), you can get a second switch to keep in your room for additional ports and branch from there.

Aren't you one of the guys that normally tells other people to read? :lol:

My guess is that he doesn't want to go out an buy a bunch of wireless NICs.

well if his description is correct, it sounds like their modem has built in wireless (as some do) so he could just buy wireless NIC's.

But obviously, since you didn't read this first post correctly...you missed out on that crucial piece of information :P:lol:

ok yeah sdy has it right

my parents have a cable modem/wireless router combo thing from linksis.

I dont want to have to buy a bunch of wireless NIC's that could get expensive, especially just for a bunch of older computers.

unless i can get some that are like 10-15 dollars, even then it does not have to be wireless nic cards, it could just be adapters

I had asked a question before, but forgot to finish asking it....

I have one wireless adapter, hooked into a computer, could I then somehow hook up a router to the computer that has internet and use the router to get the internet to all the other computers?

comp A + wireless adapter W/router hooked up to it

Router w/ 2 cables coming out hooking into Comps B and C

Will B and C have internet?

They have onboard lan ports

so doing it with the router would work? would I need crossover or the other type of cable?

well how many ports are on the router & how many computers do you need to hook up to it?

if you're going from router -> PC

then no crossover cable is needed

I think it has a WLAN port and 4 LAN ports, and I have 3 computers, one will have the connection w/adapter and sent it to the router, and the other 2 will be pluged into the router

When I plug the cord coming out of the computer A with the adapter, would it go into the WLAN port on the router