Looking To Be A Decent Web Designer, What's A Good Starting Point?

OptikaliLLusion

Well I basically want to learn how to web design. The whole shabang. Coding and graphics, etc. I've got decent Photoshop skills, decent layout designing skills... I just need a good starting point. What do some of you who make your own sites reccomend? I was thinking the basics such as HTML and CSS, but ultimately I want to be able to do advanced, stunning things with PHP and MySQL. Ya know, make comprehensive advanced sites like GameFAQs (not too advanced actually, but the creator coded the boards himself) or Facebook (maybe not the greatest site but it's hard to say it isn't well made). Flash isn't particularly important to me.

So, a sides from what I should start with, what are some good resources? Yes, I know, :google:, but I'd rather some first-hand advice on some good web tutorials, or possibly a book or two.

Cheers

I would go, and check out Pixel2life, they have a huge tutorial database, on all sorts of software/coding related stuff.

I also went to my local library to look at some PHP, MYsql, Perl, and Bash books.

Remember, you can't just read a book on PHP, and expect to know PHP, you have to actualy do some coding in it! I use PHP Designer to make my scripts with. You can also do other scripting languages, and not just PHP, such as Perl, HTML(not really a scripting language but w/e),VB, and more (just look on their website).

If you would like to learn a scripting language, and also do webdesign with it, PHP is the way to go. It is a fairly easy language to code in, and isn't to hard to pickup, and understand.

basic html is a must, and CSS is soooo eassyyy and very professional looking when applied right. CSS basically replaces tables, except much easier. the only thing that's annoying is that internet explorer and firefox (most common 'testers' of css) interpret things differently and it can get really frustrating if you don't know the ways to fix it.

www.w3.org has everything you need to know about css. a good thing to get [if you have firefox] is the Web Developer extension. it allows you to do turn css on and off and that will show you what exactly css does. for example, go to newegg and look how it looks, then turn CSS off. big difference.

but PHP has become very popular now so you probably want to know that too. and graphics skills are also great to have.