The Dilemma Of Lo's Time

LoArmistead

OK my current main rig setup is:

3700 Sandy @ 2.8Ghz

2GB g.skill "value" DDR400 (@ 260mhz...)

Lanparty ultra-D

X800XL

So here's my dilemma. I haven't been keeping up with pricing on processors lately, and I almost shat myself when I saw what the prices were on newegg. I had been planning on this elaborate Conroe setup for some time... but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just get a nice AMD64 X2 and OC it to run with the conroe pack? I am not really looking forward to having to dump a bunch of money into a nice conroe righ wth ddr2 RAM and the like, so now I have this bug in my head to keep my current setup but just get a new discounted 939 x2 and a nice video card and call it a day? What are your thoughts on this? Conroe, or keep my current base and upgrade the cpu and the vid card? :huh:

It would be cheaper to buy the core 2 processor by itself that would outrun the AMD64 X2 at stock speeds, but then I'd have to get a new mobo, RAM, and in the end we are talking about an easy $600-800 investment.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone had any OC experience with a 4800 Toledo?

I've been reading on AMDZone where they got it 400mhz over stock. From looking at the benchmarks at those speeds, I would assume that it would suit me just fine.

well, a 4400+ is basicly two SD 3700+ stuck together. And obiously the 4800+ just has an extra 200 mhz

so i vote 4400+ your going to have to drop the multi anyways to OC anywhere, unless you don't plan too, you already have some nice ram...

BTW: you already have a fairly recent system, the cheapest/easiest short term thing would be just upgreading to an x2. However in the long run, it'd be a good idea to sell your current rig and buy an am2 rig for the same price.

As for the Core 2, i'd advise against it since you already have that rig :P but if you decide to sell it, and want to spend a bit more (about $100 + ) then a e6600 and a good mobo will get you pretty far. I'm, probably blabbing too far now, but in summary, Cheep/Easy/Short term= 939 x2. Longterm/harder/more expensive= AM2 x2/Core 2 775

Edited by The Unforgivin

I vote for the X2 route. Also, when you look at bang for the buck, the 4800+ is really only a few dollars more. I am having the same dilemma, but I am still using an AGP system also. I am not really into getting a new mobo, PSU, RAM, and video card.

i noticed taht the FX-57 is around $300 now lol

:withstupid:

I'm in the same boat as you. I was browsing through Newegg and found my processor for a measly 70 bucks. When I saw the FX-55 for less than $300, I knew I had to buy one.

I would definitely suggest getting yourself a 939 processor and OCing it like crazy.

An FX55 for $139. I never thought the day would come... it was just one year ago with that thing was going for almost $800. As tempting as that offer is, I really think a dual core processor would benefit me more these days. If anyone is in the market for a kickass single core CPU... get that FX55. And be sure to select the OEM FX55 or the promo won't work.